Part 11

This chapter broke my heart to write. Apologies in advance. 

TW: domestic violence. 

"Future Industries of The Southern Water Tribe, this is Asami". The phones that were finally installed into the office were ringing off the hook. Asami had released a project with Tonraq to help provide food to struggling families and it was wildly popular. So busy that the President of one of the most successful companies in history was now answering day-to-day phone calls. Asami was torn, she was making great progress and there was lots of work to do in the South but Republic City was struggling too. Since sales and stocks were plummeting, she was quickly losing resources to provide to the tribe. Asami's normally perfect face were now plagued by dark circles. The pressure of the world was on her shoulders. The heiress knew what executive decision had to be made and she knew she had to return despite wanting to continue to take care of Korra. 

Korra seemed to be plateauing in her progress. This was frustrating to her since she could still only stand with the help of others and not for very long. When she wasn't with Katara or Kya and Asami was at work, the Avatar sat in her bed in silence, thinking about how she felt like the worst Avatar. Playing with Naga's puppies made her happy especially when the six balls of fluff would jump up onto her bed and lick her all over. She didn't think anything could be cuter than Naga, she was wrong. The puppers were now four weeks old and getting bigger everyday. 

The two girls didn't get much time to spend together over the last few weeks because Asami was so busy and Korra was honestly still hurt that Asami was leaving soon. She was also upset she didn't tell her right away which caused their first fight. Korra laid in bed with her favorite puppy, Niko, and thought about how mean she was to Asami during that fight. She called her selfish and a liar. She didn't mean that about her girlfriend but she wasn't herself either. They'd made up since then but it still hurt Asami to hear those words. 

A tear ran down Korra's cheek and she pulled Niko closer. Then she heard a knock on the front door. Korra was home alone and all of the dogs started wildly barking. Niko got up to join his siblings. The Avatar swung into her wheelchair and pushed through the piles of polar bear puppies who were jumping on the front door. "Get back!" she yelled at the misbehaving bunch. She finally got them under control and swung the door open. 

Mako stood there with a bouquet of flowers and was giving her the stupidest smile. 

"Mako?!"

"Hey Korra. I uh... didn't know if you got my letter a few weeks ago but I never got a response. I couldn't stay away any longer and I need you to know how I feel."

Korra's mouth gaped open. She forgot to write Mako back with everything that was happening. He came all the way down here?! SPIRITS! She thought.

"I love you, Korra. Please take me back."

He handed her the bouquet and waited for her response. 

"Mako.. I..."

Just as she was going to respond, she heard the hum of Asami's snowmobile approach. Mako turned his head and saw what Korra was looking at. She felt so much anxiety and her heart raced. 

Asami took her helmet off and her hair flowed out perfectly. She noticed Mako and was confused and then saw Korra with the flowers in her hands.

"uh... Korra.. what's going on?" Asami walked over and crossed her arms while standing between them. "and hey Mako"

"Asami, this is between me and Korra." Mako replied having no idea the two were together. 

"Is it now?" Asami turned her gaze to Korra. Korra was blushing and still couldn't figure out what words to say.