Part 10

Asami and Korra got ready to go to Sokka's restaurant to meet up with Kya and her girlfriend. In the past week Asami had purchased a snow mobile with a side seat to place Korra in. Korra wanted to take Naga but Asami insisted they take out her new toy. It was like driving a satomobile but more fun. They arrive on time but saw that their group had already arrived. It was very unlike Kya to be on time but when they noticed who her girlfriend was, the couple's punctuality made more sense. 

"Lin!" Asami yelled out. "Hello Asami, Hello Avatar." Lin responded flatly like she didn't want to be there. Kya stood up and hugged the girls and they all got back into their seats after exchanging greetings. "How did we not know you two were a thing?" Korra asked still shocked their suspicions had been even remotely correct. "Because you're stupid and I like my privacy." Lin said with her arms crossed. "Lin, honey, that's not nice." Kya tried to ease over the insult. "Alright Chief." Korra said going quiet. 

"SO! How're things back in Republic City?" Asami said trying to break the tension. "Crime keeps happening no matter the times so I'm busy like usual." Korra was sad because she couldn't be there but knew her Avatar duties rose above normal crime. Not that she was fulfilling any duties these days due to her immobility. "How have you been doing, Korra" Lin asked, finally acting less rude. "Oh you know, healing is okay. I stood up once for a minute and regained some feeling below my waist." She said recapping her progress. "What about you Asami?" she turned to the heiress. "Things are going okay. We're working on our plans to update the region but there's a lot of obstacles. I also had a conversation with my VP running the company back in Republic City and our stocks keep falling down... I might have to return in a few weeks to check in on things." Asami said sadly. She hadn't told Korra she was going to have to leave temporarily and the Avatar looked shocked. "Asami what? You didn't..." Asami cut off her girlfriend. "I know Korra I didn't tell you yet I just didn't know how to tell you."

The dinner went on and it was awkward, especially for Lin who couldn't wait to go home and do things to Kya. "This was really nice we should do it more often" said Kya sweetly, happy she could share her relationship. "Do we have to?" Lin grumbled. Korra and Asami laughed because Lin was acting grumpy like usual but was so weak to Kya's wishes. "Yes, dear."

They finished up and gave each other a big hug. Korra and Asami took the vehicle back towards their home and headed into the house. Korra looked around because something seemed to be missing. "Hey mom, where's Naga?" Senna looked at Korra puzzled. "What do you mean Korra I thought you took her to dinner?" Korra became frantic at the thought of Naga missing. She was a large polar bear dog so it's unlikely anything bad could really happen to her but Korra was so worried about her companion. "Let me check out back and around the house, I'm sure she's here somewhere. NAGA!" Asami called out and began to search. Korra looked out the window to see if she was there but no luck. "Korra!" Asami cried out from the backyard. She was looking at a set of big polar bear dog footprints that was leading into the wild arctic tundra. "Oh No! NAGAAAAAA!" Korra screamed. "We have to go after her! Why would she run away?!" Korra demanded. "Korra is so late we can't go searching now." Asami tried to reason. "Fine if you won't help me I'll go alone." Korra was determined to find her but realistically she couldn't travel around alone due to her disability and Naga was normally her mode of transportation. Asami realized that Korra wouldn't let up or go to sleep until her polar bear dog was knowingly safe. 

"Okay Korra. I'll go out and look for her but you need to stay here." Asami said putting her jacket back on and reaching for her keys. "I'm going with you." Korra firmly stated. "No Korra..." she stopped her sentence because Korra looked so desperate with puppy dog eyes. "Okay fine."

The two hopped back into the snowmobile and followed the tracks. Snow was coming down hard so the definitiveness of the markings was starting to fade. "NAGGGAAAAAA" Korra yelled into the void of the wilderness. "hawooooooooooooooo!" Korra heard Naga cry in the distance. "Over there!" She pointed in the direction of the noise and Asami turned the vehicle to follow it. They found a cave that dug itself into the ground and provided Naga protection from the cold weather. "Naga!" Korra yelled as she spotted her polar bear dog curled up inside the dark cave. Korra tried to get up and run to her but just fell down immediately. Asami walked around to the army crawling Avatar. "Wait here Korra." The heiress said propping her back up against the snowmobile. 

Asami slowly approach Naga who looked really tired and defeated. "Hey girl, what's wrong?" Asami cooed at her. She made her way around to see Naga's face but noticed that there was something curled up in Naga's stomach. Little white bodies wiggled into the dog and Asami tried to get a closer look. "grrrRRRRRRRR" Naga didn't want anyone to get any closer but then realized that Asami was familiar and safe. She relaxed her head down into her paws and Asami tried again. 

Asami petted the big polar bear dog and then grabbed one of the babies. "Korra!" Asami came running around the corner with the tiny thing wrapped in her arms. The heiress bent down and showed Korra. "Oh my Spirits!!! You're so cute and tiny!" Korra grabbed the baby polar bear dog that looked identical to Naga but much smaller and had its eyes crusted shut. It let out little peeps of noise as it called out for its mother. Asami ran back and tried counting them. "One, two, three, four, five!" she said giddily. "Korra there's five over here!". Korra kept petting the sleepy baby in her arms and she realized the poor thing was shivering. "Asami let's get them home!"

The heiress tried waking Naga and convince her to come home with her pets. Asami took off her thick jacket and wrapped up all the babies. She put them in the side car to be held by Korra who cooed over all their wiggling bodies. Naga followed her babies like a good mother and trusted Asami and Korra to take care of them. Asami drove slowly because Naga was clearly exhausted from giving birth. After the journey home, Asami carried three and Korra carried three into the house. 

"Mom, Dad! Come here." Korra demanded. It was really late now and Senna and Tonraq had gone to bed. The two groggy parents sauntered into the living room to see what all the commotion was about. "Honey what's wrong?" Senna said wrapped in a robe and rubbed her sleepy eyes. 

"Look", the two held out Naga's babies and Senna gasped. "Oh my spirits! Naga you were pregnant?!" Tonraq reacted. The girls hadn't really thought about HOW Naga had gotten pregnant up to this moment. It was a peculiar question. "Who knows" Korra let out a giggle still freaking out over the cuteness. 

Naga laid on the floor and Senna was rubbing her tummy. The mothers were acting like they had a special connection over having babies of their own. Tonraq went downstairs to set up what used to be Asami's room into a den that Naga could take care of her puppies in. They all looked down the stairs at the cuddling polar bear dog family with their hearts full. It was time that they went to bed themselves. 

Korra held a shivering Asami since she didn't have a jacket for the ride home. Her hands were blue and face was dry from the harsh arctic air. It was a nice change for Asami to be taken care of again since she'd been focusing on Korra. Korra liked having someone to protect again. If she couldn't be the world's Avatar, at least she could be Asami's.