ron weasley

"Guess who asked for help asking you to the ball," Hermione says, grinning ear to ear.

I shrug. "I don't know, who?"

She rolls her eyes. "I said guess, silly."

"Seamus?" I say the only person I could possibly think of. Not that Seamus would actually ask me to the ball though.

"Guess again, Y/N," she laughs.

"McLaggen," I joke, rolling my eyes.

Hermione shakes her head. "Wrong again."

I frown. "Why can't you just tell me, Hermione?"

"Because it'll ruin the surprise!"

She grabs her books and hurries off to who knows where. Great.

I sigh, continuing to drag my quill across the paper. This essay won't write itself.

When I finish writing I pack my books into my bag and exit the library. It's time for dinner.

I enter the Great Hall, surrounded by chatter and find a seat next to Hermione.

"Figure it out yet?" she asks, her eyes glimmering.

I shake my head. "Nope."

Hermione gives me a smirk before turning to her food. We eat eagerly, clearly starving from the day's challenges. When we leave the Great Hall, ready to go back to the common room in the fuss of all the students, someone drops a piece of paper into my hand. I frown, trying to get a glimpse of who it could possibly be, but no luck.

I open the piece of paper, stopping in my tracks. My eyes flick over each word, a smile growing onto my face.

'Dear Y/N,

It would be a great pleasure of mine if I could escort you to the ball. I find you to be such a wonderful, cheerful person to be around, and it would please me if you accepted my invitation.

Sincerely, Ron'

I reread the note, pinching to see if I'm imagining it. Ron wants me to attend the ball with him. Of course I'll say yes, and I'm incredibly flattered.