harry potter

"Merry Christmas," Harry smiles, kissing the top of my head.

I hold his arms to my chest, the warmth of them preventing the cold from getting to me. It's snowing, and it's Christmas Day. A white Christmas, and truly I couldn't be happier.

"Come on, let's go inside so you can open your gift," Harry insists.

I laugh, "Alright."

He leads me to the common room, which is not nearly as busy as usual. Most students are home for the holidays.

Harry hands me a small box, wrapped in green and red striped paper.

I sit beside him, my fingers gently undoing the wrapping. I open the box and inside sits a beautiful ring. Not an engagement ring, of course. We're too young for that. But a gorgeous opal ring sits inside the box.

I slide the ring onto my hand, admiring its beauty. "Harry-" I begin.

"Do you like it?" he questions, his eyes shimmering.

I nod eagerly, wrapping my arms tightly around him. "It's the best gift I've ever received," I answer, my eyes filling with tears. "Thank you so much."

He takes my hand, admiring the ring himself. "I'm glad. I spent days trying to find the perfect one, and I remembered you liked opals. When I saw this one, I knew it was perfect. And it's a promise ring, because as long as I'm alive, I promise to keep you safe."