chap 21

The air had chilled by the time the Alphas from all of the allied packs had finally gone to ready for their departure.

And Hoseok, mind restless, went out to clear his head, completing his nightly patrol of the grounds just as the setting sun brushed against the treetops.

Hoseok could practically feel the worry coming from his fellow pack members as he breathed the night air, many Omegas scenting their distress as he walked by, his own stress-filled demeanor doing nothing to calm them.

He'd recently caught word of what had occurred at the hunting grounds closest to their location, urging him to make the hasty decision of sending a group of wolves to investigate the matter.

The only issue being that the scouting group which had been selected was under Namjoon's direct command, and even though the storms had traveled far enough north for it to be safe, every one of them seemed reluctant to set out without him.

He sighed deeply, trying desperately to block out the upsetting thoughts that filled his mind. But even as he accomplished just that, he huffed in annoyance, his arms crossing over his chest as his eyes glared straight ahead.

All day, he had been dreading the moment he would be met with a certain Alpha, taking ridiculous measures to avoid him, and yet here he was, standing before him with a look of contemplation on his features.

Grasping at what little patience he had left, Hoseok spoke, bitterness lacing his words. "What do you want, Namjoon?"

The tone of his voice was much harsher than intended, but if that was what Namjoon needed to hear in order for him to back off, then so be it.

Namjoon's stance didn't change at his words, his lips just pressing into a thin line. He stayed silent for quite some time before Hoseok spoke again. "I'm not in the mood for this shit, say what you need and leave me be."

Namjoon's eyes turned to the ground, looking almost as though he couldn't find it in himself to speak. "I.."

Brows drawing close, Namjoon sighed in frustration. The words he wished to say, seeming stuck in his throat.

He didn't even blink when Hoseok began to pass him by, he only shifted his feet to avoid being hit by Hoseok's shoulder as the other left.

Finally feeling as though he could relax with the Alpha's eyes no longer on him, Namjoon took a deep breath. He could hear Hoseok's footsteps traveling further and further away with every second, causing him to reluctantly go out on a limb.

Frozen in place, he stared hard at the ground as he forced the first words he could think of out of his mouth.

"...I wanted to say thank you.. for your help.."

Those weren't exactly the words he was going for, but...

Namjoon's face burned a bright red as he mentally slapped himself. 'Could I have possibly made this any more awkward?'

Meanwhile, Hoseok couldn't help but to be glad that his back was turned to the younger as a soft smile found it's way onto his lips before being quickly replaced by a scowl.

Shaking his head, Hoseok spoke in an far more gentle manner than before. "I didn't do it to help any of you.. I just did what was right." With that said, he began to walk away with a brisk pace, hoping to keep his stem image in place.