Chapter 17- The Earth King

Less than an hour escaping from Lake Laogai, the gaang and I relocated to a small island.

Aang was catching up with Appa as Sokka and I watched from afar.

"Feeling better?" Sokka asks.

"Huh, yeah, thanks for asking."

Sokka smiles hopping off the rock and walking over to Katara and Toph as I follow.

"Look, we escaped from the Da Li, we got Appa back,  I'm telling you, we should go to the Earth King now and tell him our plan. We're on a roll."

"One good hour after weeks of trouble isn't much of a roll," Katara responds.

"We can build on it. If we want to invade the Fire Nation when the eclipse happens, we need the Earth King's support."

"What makes you think we'll get it?" Toph asks. "I don't know if you've noticed, but things don't usually go that smoothly for our little gang."

"I know," Sokka exclaims. "But I've got a good feeling about this. This time'll be different."

"Sokka," Katara voices. "Long Feng is in control of the city. His conspiracy with the Da Li is too powerful. I think we should just keep flying and leave this horrible place behind us."

"I'm with sweetness," Toph sides. "I've seen enough of Ba Sing Se. And I can't even see!"

Aang flies over to us. "But, now that we have Appa back, there's nothing stopping us from telling the Earth King the truth. About the conspiracy and the war."

"See, Aang's with me and I bet Soul is too." Sokka smiles putting his arm around Aang and I.

"It's the whole reason we came here in the first place, we have to try."

Katara puts her hand on her chin. "Well, I guess if the Earth King knew the truth, things could change."

"I don't trust the new positive Sokka," Toph hums. "Long Feng brainwashed you didn't he?"

Aang runs over to the shore as boats sail along the lake.

"That's probably the Dai Li searching for us," Sokka turns to Katara."So?"

"Let's fly."

We all ride bareback on Appa to Ba Sing Se's upper ring where we managed to break into the palace, tearing our way through the strong defense of royal earthbender guards.

At the palace we finally reached the Earth King's throne room, where we encountered Long Feng and numerous Dai Li agents who stood before the Earth King as last defense.

"We need to talk to you," Aang says.

"They're here to overthrow you." Long Feng says to the King.

"No, we're on your side," Sokka says. "We're here to help."

"You have to trust us."

"You invade my palace, lay waste to all my guards, break down my fancy door, dare to bring a firebender to my palace, and you expect me to trust you?" The King says.

"He has a good point."

"If you're on my side, then drop your weapons and stand down."

We all looked at each other and dropped our weapons.

"See, we're friends, your earthiness," Aang laughs nervously.

Long Feng attempts to arrest us, until The Earth King learns that Aang is the Avatar and Soul is the Princess of the Northern Tribe.

The King decides to at least hear Aang and the others out after seeing his pet bear, Bosco, show a liking towards Soul.

Aang goes on to explain the various events of which the Earth King was unaware: a war outside Ba Sing Se's wall, Long Feng and the Dai Li's conspiracy, the imprisonment of Appa, and the brainwashing of Jet and countless other individuals.