Tension and Relief

Mipha's POV
Link started running to the left, leading the lynel away from Sidon. I immediately ran towards Sidon and picked him up. I ran toward the edge of the mountain near the incline and jumped down. I landed and put Sidon down next to a tree.

"Sidon, are you ok?!" I asked urgently. He nodded his head. "What were you thi-" I stopped myself, remembering that I needed to help Link. "We'll talk about this later. Stay here Sidon!"

I ran back to the top of the mountain and saw the lynel swing his sword at Link, throwing him back. I grabbed my trident and ran at the lynel. The lynel spotted me and started drawing its bow. I could see the sparks coming off from the arrows. All of a sudden, I stopped in my tracks, paralyzed. The horrible memory of my childhood came back to me. The lizalfos aiming its bow at me. Seeing the sparks. The agonizing pain. It was a miracle that I even survived. The thoughts of that memory swirled in my head. The fear keeping my body still. All I could do was just stare as the lynel shot the arrows.

"Mipha!" Link ran and pushed me behind him. One of the shock arrows hit him instead. He yelled in pain and dropped to his knees.

"L-Link!" I stuttered out. I helped stand him up. The lynel started to charge at us and we ran out of its way. We both quickly hid behind a rock.

"Link, are you ok?"

"Yes, don't worry."

"What are we going to do?"

"I'll distract the lynel. You try to get some hits off of it."

"But Link, what if you get hurt again?"

"Mipha, this lynel has shock arrows and you zora are prone to getting electrocuted. It is better that I'm the one distracting while you attack. I don't want you to get hurt."

"Are you sure?"

"You are an amazing fighter, Mipha. I believe in you." I nodded my head and he ran out from behind the rock. He started distracting and dodging the lynel's attacks. I took a deep breath and ran for the lynel. Link was able to tire out the lynel, which meant that we could get double the damage on it! He jumped on the lynel's back, hitting it with his sword. I started jabbing my trident into its side. Link back flipped off the lynel and we continued our plan. After a bit, the lynel grew tired again. I stabbed the lynel with my trident and it fell to the ground. Dropping its weapons and arrows. Link fell to his knees out of exhaustion. He looked up at me and smiled. I couldn't help but smile myself. We finally did it!

I walked over to the ledge near the incline, "Sidon, come up here." He immediately ran up the incline and hugged me.

"I'm sorry," he said through tears in his eyes. I kneeled down to his level and touched his cheek.

"I'm just glad your safe," I said exhausted. Link walked up to us and Sidon hugged him. Link smiled and patted Sidon's head.

"Now that we know that you are truly safe," I said firmly, "why on Hyrule would you be on Ploymus Mountain, where you knew that there'd be a lynel!"

"I went to practice riding up the waterfalls. Then when I got to the top I decided that I wanted to jump from Shatterback Point into the reservoir. I thought that I would be able to sneak past the lynel."

"Sidon," Link said gently, "promise Mipha and I that you won't do that ever again."

"I promise!" Sidon exclaimed.

"Go back home to father, Sidon. Tell him that Link and I are fine. We'll be back." Sidon nodded and ran down the incline. We watched as he jumped down the waterfall. After a few moments, Link broke the silence.

"So, what happened back there? When you just... stopped."

"A... bad memory came back to me."

"Would you like to talk about it?" He held his hand out to me and I took it. We walked up to Shatterback point and sat on the rocks near the edge. I told him all about the memory. He never spoke once while I was explaining it too. He just listened. After I finished explaining it, I started to tear up. I'm not exactly sure why I started to cry. Was it because I was finally able to explain some of my traumatic feelings? Was it just remembering the whole incident with Sidon? Or, was it me thinking that if I get scared over some shock arrows, how will I ever help to stop the Calamity? Maybe it was all three.

Link saw my tears and touched my hand. "Let me guess," he said gently, "your probably asking yourself if you're even good enough to be able to fight the calamity after this. Maybe that thought is even mixed in with those traumatized feelings and memories." I looked at him dumbfounded.

"H-how did you know?"

"I know what it feels like, Mipha. I've asked myself those questions so many times. I've asked myself those questions to the point where the burdens of my duty get to me. It's why I have such a hard time expressing myself. I-I don't want you to close yourself off like I have," He then lifted my left hand off the rock and held it. "May I answer those questions that you asked yourself for you?" I started to blush. His voice and his hand brought me peace. "That memory and this experience is, and was, traumatic. You should not feel ashamed of being scared and confused thinking about those moments. I'm sure that the thought that Sidon could've went through the same thing that you did worried you. Most of all, you are good enough, Mipha. Hyrule needs your help, I need your help."

I felt more tears welling up in my eyes after hearing that. It was a mix of sadness and confusion, but it was also relief. He wrapped his strong arms around me in a hug and I did the same. I cried and he just held me in the hug until I stopped. It was relieving and peaceful. I didn't want the moment to end. I just wanted to be in that hug with Link forever.