4

From there, things went smoothly. You spent your days on campus at various classes (Classics was quickly becoming your favorite though - Professor Bernal was a great teacher, and the material you covered really held your attention) and your nights at the little part time job you worked at a cafe type business where they served drinks and tapas.

It had been about a month since you had arrived in Mexico, and you had loved every minute of it. The food was delicious, the people were friendly (and ever so nice when you forgot the Spanish word for something) and the weather was like something out of a summer dream. You never wanted it to end. 

Well, for the most part. 

Making friends in some of your classes was hard. It seemed like people didn't want to talk about anything else than that you were American - like you were some kind of novelty item. Tercero was easily your best friend at school - he seemed to genuinely like you, and you were happy for it. 

Of course, outside of school, you hung out with Nieve and Reyes. Nieve was always taking you to see Reye's band play at local restaurants and bars, and you didn't mind at all - they were pretty good. She followed up on that shopping trip as well; taking you to all those little boutiques until you had almost a whole closet of clothes like hers.

You couldn't complain though. Nieve had a great sense of style. 

Even at work you were the best dressed. 

You finished wiping off the counter and dropped the paper towels in the trash before returning to the register. Business was usually slow around this time of day - not many people came in for coffee and tapas in the evening. You pulled out the book you had been working on. It was an assigned reading for your Classics class that wasn't due for a while, but reading in another language always took longer than expected of you wanted to do it well. 

You picked up where you'd left it last time. The reading was slow going, but the story was interesting - a piece of classic Mexican literature. It felt like something you would be assigned to read in highschool in America, and it was interesting to see what kind of writing was considered classic in another country. Of course, you were sure that most of your classmates probably wouldn't even bother with the reading. 

You were about to flip a page when you heard the door to the cafe open, so you marked it instead, trading your novel for the order notebook. 

The customer stopped at the counter. 

"What can I get you?" You asked, clicking your pen.

"Just a large coffee. Two sugars." He said. 

Simple enough. You set down your notebook to ring up the charge and looked the boy in the face. Your fingers stopped for a moment, hovering over the register as you took in the boy in front of you. 

He had a kind face, and even though he wasn't smiling you could tell he would have dimples. His eyes twinkled brown, and he was kind of weak looking - but it worked for him. He was wearing a beanie, but a few strands of dark hair fell out from underneath, flopping over his forehead. 

He was adorable. 

"That's all?" You breathed. 

The boy nodded, pulling out his wallet and handing you the amount he owed. You popped it in the register, still trying to process how someone could possibly look cute and hot at the same time.

The boy moved to the side as you got to work on his coffee, taking extra care even though it was just a simple order. You mind was running in circles - should you say something? Did you even want any romantic flings while you were here? What if he had a girlfriend? You didn't want him to have to awkwardly explain that he was taken. But... you didn't want to let him just walk away. Maybe...

You finished his order and grabbed one of the foam cups from the side of the counter. You glanced over your shoulder at the boy quickly - he was on his phone, typing something. He wouldn't see. You quickly scrawled your number on the cup and poured his drink into it. He probably had a girlfriend - how could he not - but you could try anyway.

You set the cup down in front of him, with the number facing you. He barely even looked at it before he picked it up.

"Thanks." He said, nodding at you before he ducked out of the cafe and headed back down the street. You watched him go, silently memorizing the way he walked.

What had even just happened?

You set your elbows down on the counter to press your face into your hands. You had just given a random boy your number without even writing a name, or talking to him outside of his order. Would he even notice it? If he did, would he even text you? Yeah, he had been cute, but what if he turned out to be rude or weird? 

Well, it was too late to take back now. Though you probably should have written your name on the cup as well. Or at least a heart or something. 

You straightened up, pulling out your book again to try and pick up where you had left off. You read the same sentence three times without absorbing any of it before giving up - your mind was a mess. 

Why did hot people have to exist in the first place, if they were just going to make you forget every Spanish word you had ever learned? 

And that it was just a random boy who had wanted a coffee...

You sighed. Who even drank coffee at this time of day anyway? 

Although, maybe it had been a good thing. There was always a possibility that he would text you after all.