16

For the next few days, you worked nonstop. The days passed by, and it inched closer to midterms. All of your classes ramped up in difficulty, and one of your coworkers at the cafe quit, leaving you and the rest of the employees to cover his old shifts. You barely had any time to do anything else but work.

Work, and text Alex of course. 

Since going out dancing with him, your back-and-forth texting had picked up intensity. The stakes had been upped - it was still silly and fun and a little bit immature and childish, but now it was also sweet and thoughtful and profound.

He sent you pictures of the sunsets because they made him think of you, and you sent him pictures of your doodles from class - little drawings of flowers and hearts and strange lined sketches of your classmates and professor. He would facetime you while he was getting ready to stream even if it was just to sit on the call, him working while you did your homework. 

He was possibly the sweetest and most thoughtful person you had ever met. And it had been by pure chance

You didn't even want to think about going back to America without him. 

Unfortunately though, you had other things to think about. Like the long line of people in front of the counter, waiting for their orders. 

You tucked a stray strand of hair behind your ear and hurried back to the kitchen, grabbing the next two orders and balancing them in your hands, smoothly bringing them over to the mother and her daughter waiting at one of the tables.

"Sorry for the wait." You said, delivering the plates with a smile. 

The mother smiled and thanked you as you ducked back into the kitchen. And so it went - you would grab plates and bring them out for a while, and then be back at the register for a bit, taking orders. For some reason, it seemed like everyone in the whole town had decided that today was the day to eat here. 

You could only catch a minute or two every now and again. You leaned against the wall of the kitchen, just resting for a moment, when your phone buzzed in your pocket. You pulled it out, and smiled, seeing a new message from Alex. 

look! phrog!! :)

Attached was a picture of a toad, tucked in the corner of the wall in his room. You smiled.

that just made my day so much better thank u

Alex texted you back quickly. 

ur having a bad day??

You tapped back a response.

not bad, just busy. lots of people eating here today

 You dropped your phone back into your pocket and got back to work, ignoring the buzz when he texted you again. You would just get back to him when you had another minute - and you were sure he wouldn't mind since he knew you were busy.

It turned out that you wouldn't get another minute until you were closing down shop for the day. You wearily waved goodbye to your coworkers before clocking out, ready to head home and take a break before getting to some homework. 

You sighed. You really didn't want to get back to the apartment and have to do more work. But, the reality of it was-

"Hey." 

You turned to see Alex jogging up to you, grinning wide with a guitar case strapped to his back and a bag of takeout in his hand. 

"H-hi." You said, surprised to see him. "What are you doing here?"

"You never answered my text so I assumed it was alright." He said. "I can go if you want..?"

You pulled your phone out of your pocket and read the last text Alex had sent you.

im gonna come meet u after u get off it thats alright :) i have a surprise

"No, I just never got around to looking at it." You said. "Whatever you have planned is more than welcome, I really need a break." You said with a smile. 

"Great!" Alex said, reaching out his free hand. "There's a really nice spot I know that's not too far, and I have food - I didn't know what you would want so I just got a bunch of stuff - and I brought my guitar, since you said you wanted to hear me play at some point, and-"

You slipped your hand into his and tugged him closer, pressing a kiss onto his cheek. "Have I ever told you that you're literally the best?"

He pretended to think for a moment before responding. "No, I can't say that you have." He said. 

"Well, you are." You said, squeezing his hand. 

The walk through town was short, and you kept your hand interwoven with Alex's as he led you down the road until the buildings thinned and the land evened out. You let him bring you to a secluded copse of trees, where the sunlight was dappled on the ground. 

Setting the basket on the ground, he sat down, patting the ground next to him. 

"This is great." You said, sitting down beside him. 

"I used to come here a lot when I was younger." He said, slinging the guitar case off his back and opening it up. "It was kind of like my own secret spot."

You leaned back on the palms of your hands and tilted your head back, just letting the tension of a long day drain from your body. You only looked back down when a weight settled in your lap and something poked at your lips. 

You took the fry from Alex's hand and smiled down at him as you chewed. He'd sprawled out with his guitar in his lap and rested his head in yours, his free hand gently working the strings. 

"This is amazing." You said, playing with the edge of Alex's beanie. 

He reached up to pull it off and butted the top of his head against your hand again. You took the hint, running your hand through his hair as he smiled, content, starting up a song on his guitar. 

In your pocket, your phone buzzed. You didn't check it.