13

You ended up meeting Alex at the little cafe you worked in, tucked away in one of the secluded tables as you ate your lunch, laptop open and explaining the project to him.

"So," You said between bites, gesturing to the slides on the screen. "Thats it, basically."

Alex was not looking at the slides at all, and instead reached across the table to wipe at the corner of your mouth with his thumb. "Sorry, you had a bit- it was distracting." 

You smiled. "Thanks." 

Alex turned to look back at the slides. "Seems simple enough. What happened to your partner though?"

You groaned, rolling your eyes. "Nothing really, he was justs being extraordinarily unhelpful today when I tried to sit down and do this. We were in the library for almost three hours and he was on his phone for more than half."

Alex smiled thinly, sympathetic. "I'm sorry you got stuck with a partner like that."

You waved a hand, dismissive. "It was only one time. I'm hopeful he'll come around - he participates in class enough and he's not usually like this. He was probably just having a bad day."

"Well, you're the one who knows the guy." Alex said, spinning the laptop to face him and looking through the slides for himself. "It looks to me that you've been doing fine - you're sure this wasn't just an excuse to hang out?"

"I've just been having trouble with legal terms and stuff and thought you would know, Mr. law school." You said. "Like I would ever want to hang out with you anyway, geez." You joked.

Alex glanced at you over the top of your laptop, a single eyebrow raised. "Yeah alright."

"What's the face for?" You asked. 

Alex shrugged, mischievous. "No reason."

You laughed. "Seriously, what?" 

Alex glanced up at you again. "It's not like I promised you anything the next time we hung out in person..."

You could feel your face heat up as you remembered that phone call. He was going to kiss you at some point today. 

Alex laughed. "You're bright red, oh my god."

You buried your face in your hands. "Don't look at me."

"Sorry, right." Alex chuckled. "Here strictly on business, I forgot."

You finished your lunch and slid the plate to the edge of the table before stealing your laptop back. "You really think this is good so far?"

"For just a layout, yeah, it's good." He said. "And for someone who said they needed help on legal terminology, everything checked out to me."

"Oh good." You said. You were about to say something else when Alex put a hand on your laptop, closing it gently. You glanced up at him, confused. 

"Take a break, yeah?" He said. "You've already been working on this thing for hours, and it looked good to me."

You rapped your fingers on the edge of the table. You had wanted to do a little more work on it today... but it was only lunch, and you could always do more work on it later on. Plus... you weren't sure you would be able to focus entirely with Alex sitting right across from you, with the promise of a kiss in the near future. 

"I guess I could take a break." You said, sliding your laptop to the side, not too far out of reach, but closed for now.

Alex reached across the table to take your hand into his, running his thumb across your knuckles. "We should hang out in person more often."

You grinned. "We should. This is nice."

He just smiled, locking eyes with you across the table. You mapped out the features of his face - not that you hadn't memorized them already - but it was a comfort just looking at him. The stress from this morning was completely gone, and sitting here with him had made your day significantly better.

"So." Alex said. 

"So." You repeated, leaning your chin in your hand. 

"Other than your partner being an ass, anything else exciting happen today?" He asked. 

You shrugged. "Just that really. And seeing you."

Alex smiled. "Well of course."

You clicked your tongue. "Cocky, cocky."

"I think I'm entitled." Alex said. 

"And what makes you think that?" You said. 

Alex brought you hand, which was still interlaced with his, closer to him. He leaned in to meet it halfway and pressed a gentle kiss to your knuckles, never breaking eye contact with you. You were sure that your face was going bright red. 

A thought entered the back of your mind. It would be a risky move... but it could pay off in the end if you pulled it off right.

Forcing the nerves swirling in your stomach aside, you said, "Oh come on, don't tell me that's the kiss that you were planning to give me."

One of Alex's eyebrows shot up and he smiled, using your still joined hands to pull you out of your seat. You hurriedly picked up your laptop and put it in your bag, swinging the strap over your shoulder with your free hand. 

Your heart was thumping wildly in your chest as Alex lead you outside and around the side of the building, in the back corner of the outdoor eating area, behind the flowerbeds. He let go of your hand there and instead leaned against the side of the building, boxing you against the wall of flowers. 

"About that kiss..." He led in with a grin. 

Your eyes fluttered shut as he leaned forward. With the gentle smell of the tropical flowers around you, your lips connected with him, soft and pliant. His hands covered around your hips, holding you in place while your hands wound around his shoulders, tugging him closer and tugging on his beanie. 

When you finally broke apart, you kept your eyes closed, just savoring the moment.  

"You can open your eyes-" Alex started. 

You cut him off by pressing a finger to his lips. "Let me savor it."

He laughed, and moved your hand. "You don't have to savor it, I can just give you another one." 

You smiled, and tugged him back to you, sealing your lips together again.