Chapter 22: Keeping Silent

Ivy was in her nest with a sad expression on her face. The friendship she cherished with Amelia and Shin is now tearing apart. And she couldn't help, but blame the jungle for every part of it. If only they weren't taken away from their home. Everything would have stayed the way it was. As she thought this over, she heard a familiar voice behind her. She turns in the direction of the voice to see none other than Shin himself.

Ivy: "Shin?! What are you doing here?!"

Shin: "You think I was scared of that wolf leader's threat? I could care less. All I want is for Amelia to finally come back with me as the way it should be."

Ivy: "She won't. She still doesn't have her memories with her."

Shin: "I know, but I don't care. I won't leave this place without her. I love her too much, and I know she loves me. Well, the old her of course. I need to know if you're still with me on this."

Ivy: "Yes, of course. Of course, I'm still with you."

Shin: "Good. I'll be around watching over Amelia. Don't tell anyone you saw me or about this conversation. If I ever need your help, I know I can count on you."

Ivy: "Absolutely, I want things to go back to the way they were just as much as you do. I'll do anything for that to happen."

Shin: "Great, it's good to see we're on the same pace here."

Suddenly, Mowgli could be heard from a distance, Ivy and Shin look in the direction of it.

Shin: "I gotta go, Ivy. See ya later."

Shin quickly retreats into the trees. Mowgli had finally arrived over at Ivy landing on the same branch her nest was on.

Mowgli: "Hey, Ivy."

Ivy: "Hey, Mowgli. How's it going?"

Mowgli: "I was hoping if I could talk to you."

Ivy: "Sure, what is it?"

Mowgli: "Why are you mad at Amelia? Is it because she decided not to go with Shin?"

Ivy: "I'm not mad at her, Mowgli. I'm mad at this jungle. If we hadn't come here, things wouldn't be so complicated. Amelia wouldn't have lost her memories. Shin wouldn't have tried to hurt Bagheera, and we would have stayed a family. Like we always were."

Mowgli: "It isn't the jungle's fault. Bad things happen no matter what. It's life. Besides, if you hadn't come to the jungle, where would you be?"

Ivy: "That's easy, the animal center."

Mowgli: "But weren't you taken away from there by man?"

Ivy: "Yeah? But then we ended up here on accident."

Mowgli: "If you hadn't accidentally come to the jungle, you would have still stayed with man. And who knows? You could have died."

Ivy: "What's your point here?"

Mowgli: "That's just it. If you hadn't come into the jungle, you wouldn't have been free. You wouldn't have met me, Baloo, or even Bagheera."

Ivy: "The Bagheera part, I could live with. But I think I'm...starting to understand what you mean. So, you think us coming into the jungle was more of a blessing rather than a curse?"

Mowgli: "Maybe, who knows? I was once told everything happens for a reason. Maybe you could find that reason, and maybe even like the jungle once you find it."

Ivy took the time to think about it a bit. Perhaps, maybe the young man was right. Maybe there was a reason for coming to the jungle, despite all of the bad things that happened.