Chapter Four

Trigger Warning: Graphic descriptions of violence and rape included. If this makes you uncomfortable, please skip to the next chapter.

Olivia taps lightly on Meredith's hospital room door, drawing in a shaky breath and pulling her FBI agent mask on. Quinn was silent beside her, their moods somber. In a minute, Alex opens the door. Olivia is about to say something when the pounding of feet on the ground causes her to turn, on alert.

"What happened?" Cristina gasps. "I was paged?"

"Ms. Perkins, what are you doing here?" Alex cuts in.

"We need to get a statement from Dr. Grey," Quinn says.

"What? No." Cristina says, stepping in front of both of the women, blocking the door. 

Meredith is on her side in the bed, not comfortably but she's facing the door. The lights in her room are dimmed, so the bright hallway lights filtering in make her squint. Meredith is silent, listening to what the people outside her door are saying.

She recognizes Cristina, Alex, and Olivia's voice, but a fourth, sharper one is unfamiliar. She inhales sharply, a stab of fear passing through her until she reasons with herself. If the woman that voice belongs to is with Olivia, she has to be safe.

"Do you or do you not want to put William Dunn away for good?" Quinn's voice reaches Meredith. "We need a statement, we've already waited as long as we can." 

At the mention of his name, images of William flash through Meredith's mind, causing her stats to spike. At the sound of the monitor going off, Cristina and Alex are instantly in the room at her side again. It takes a few minutes, but she calms down and Alex turns to face the women at the door again.

"You see what you're doing to her? Backoff." he spits. Olivia slowly steps into the room, Quinn hanging back.

"Can I just talk to her for a minute, please? I won't interrogate her, I swear. I won't ask a single question. I just want to talk." Olivia pleads. Alex and Cristina look at each other, clearly hesitant.

"It's okay. Let me talk to Olivia," Meredith says quietly.

"Are you sure, Mer? You don't have to do anything you don't want to," Alex turns back to her.

"I'm sure. Just...just give us a few minutes. Alone." The blonde requests, though not moving from her spot. For a minute, the two doctors stand there, debating leaving their friend. Until Meredith flicks her hand at them to the door, they both leave. 

Painfully, Meredith sits up to try and gain better ground on the agent now sitting next to her. "Do you really need my statement?" She begins quietly.

"Yes, I'm sorry. I know how you're feeling right now and I know talking about it is the last thing you want to do." 

"Do you really know how I feel? When was the last time you were kidnapped, raped, and beaten for no reason?" She snaps.

"I'm not saying that, Meredith. And I'm certainly not in any way comparing myself to you, but you should know that when I was twenty-three I was in the FBI training academy, and my superior raped me. So I understand how you're feeling better than you'd think."

At that, Meredith is silent, a pang of guilt hitting her for taking her anger out on the woman next to her. 

"I...I was only twenty-three. I didn't know anything back then. The first time it happened, I thought it was just something I had to deal with. Then, it happened again. The second time I tried to fight him off, but he hit me so hard I was transferred to the Academy's hospital. Out of training for a week. I thought no one would believe me, Meredith. So I didn't report it. I was terrified all the time of everyone. I put in for a transfer and they eventually moved me out from under his command, but it didn't mean I was automatically better. Looking back now, I only wish I had the strength to speak up and tell someone about it, who knows how many other girls I could've helped. It's one of my biggest regrets."