Chapter Twelve

"Meredith," Quinn's voice snaps the blonde back to the present. "We can go now."

She glances around the courtroom, seeing the judge and jury have already disappeared, as well as William. "That's it?"

"For today. You looked like you were in another world here for the majority of it."

"I...I was."

"I get that," Quinns smiles. "But for tomorrow and the next few days, it's really important that you be here. I know it's going to be tough, but the jury needs to see something from you."

Meredith nods, standing and grabbing her jacket, nearly falling over as she does so. Her legs are completely unsteady beneath her, and her heart is pounding in her throat. Quinn offers her a supporting arm, which she quickly takes, swallowing hard and walking out of the courtroom. The catches Annalise Keating's eye from across the room, and Meredith searches for any hit of emotion in her face but finds none. 

She's cold, hardened. Probably what makes her so damn good at her job. There's not a trace of sympathy, remorse, or even anger in her eyes. There's nothing. Meredith returns her gaze forward, realizing he has to right to judge, with one look in the mirror her eyes are the same. Empty.

They get out of the room and Meredith crosses the hall to the nearest large window. It's cracked, and she breaths in the smell of rain, bringing her back to the moment. Until, someone taps her shoulder. She jumps and spins around, bracing her rips with an arm. There's an older looking, dark-skinned couple in front of her. She steps away, her back hitting the wall. 

"I'm so sorry, we didn't mean to scare you. I'm Valorie West, this is my husband, Nicolas. We're Angelica's parents. She was the second girl murdered." The woman introduces herself. 

"I-I um..." Meredith stutters, her mind racing, still thinking it's in danger and unable to process what's happening.

"Hi, Special Agent Olivia Prenton, we've spoken before, remember?" Olivia cuts in out of nowhere, placing herself between Meredith and the couple. "Thank you for coming, it's greatly appreciated. I'm so sorry, but Dr. Grey isn't feeling her best right now and I think it's time she goes home."

Valorie looks a bit shocked, but nods and backs away, her husband by her side. When they're gone, Olivia turns back to Meredith. 

"I-I'm okay...I just need a-a minute." The blonde breathes, still leaning against the wall for support. Olivia nods, a sense of protectiveness overtaking her as she steps in front of Meredith, blocking her from prying eyes and giving her a minute to collect herself. 

It's past noon now, and a bunch of the FBI team members leave the courthouse to go eat lunch. Derek remains, quietly talking to Quinn off to the side. Cristina and Alex come over to Meredith together, both of them concerned.

"Give her a minute," Olivia says softly, stopping the surgeons before they can bombard the blonde. After a few minutes of quiet, Meredith finally straightens and faces her friends.

"I'm fine." She answers before they can ask. "I couldn't look anywhere near him."

"I want to kill that son of a bitch with my own two hands," Alex growls.

Meredith snaps up, meeting Alex's eyes. "Don't joke about that."

A pang of guilt hits the peds surgeon as he realizes he should watch his mouth and be more careful with his word choice. "I'm sorry."

She just shakes her head and glances around the long halls. "How do we get out of here?"

The next morning starts off pretty much the exact same way as the previous morning. Meredith doesn't even testify until tomorrow, so she has no idea why the thought of going to court makes her sick. The hearing begins at ten, giving her three hours to get ready.