Chapter Ten

"Don't take this the wrong way, but this is actually good for our case." Quinn Perkins states from her spot standing next to Derek in his office at the FBI headquarters. 

"How the hell is this good?" 

"Matthew Trahkocl was the only friendly witness for William. If Annalise can't find him or get someone else to testify, she has to fight off all of ours with nothing else to prove."

"What about Mary Trahkocl?" Maggie quips.

"Refused to testify for either side," Quinn replies.

Derek is sitting in his chair behind his desk, Olivia sitting across from him. Jake leans against a table that Maggie and Ryan are sitting at, Vanessa on the couch. 

"So the director wants us to find Matthew?" Olivia turns to Derek, changing the subject off of the case.

"Yes. We have no idea what he's going to do because we have no idea what William said to him." Derek groans.

"Is Meredith in danger?" The dark-haired female asks the question that has been floating around in everyone's mind. Derek is quiet for a minute before responding.

"We don't know."

"What about us? Our significant others?" Ryan speaks up.

"We don't know," Derek repeats. For the next few minutes, it's mostly quiet, the entire team struggling to process the information they'd just received.

"We have to tell Meredith." Olivia glances at the team. When she gets nods in agreement, she leans back in her chair, staring at the ceiling. "I thought we were done with this fucked up family."

"We all did," Maggie whispers. 

"Who's going to tell Meredith? You know how long it took to convince her to testify this week, she can't back out now, it's crucial to the case." Quinn jumps in.

"It should be me," Derek volunteers.

"Let Quinn and I go with you," Olivia offers. The team leader nods, standing and gathering his things, then turning to the remaining agents.

"The rest of you get to work here, I want to profile Matthew, try and figure out his next move. Talk to Mary again if we have to." He orders. The team nods, leaving the office to the connected conference room. Derek, Olivia, and Quinn pile into one car and begin the drive to Meredith's house.

Meredith walks out of Dr. Wyatt's office, back to the main lobby where Cristina and Alex should be. She takes the quieter halls, even if it's a longer route, her heart pounding every time someone gets too close. By the time she reaches her fellow surgeons, her hands are sweaty and she's a bit panicked.

Cristina recognizes the look instantly, quickly standing with Alex and guiding her out the door, back to their car. "How was it?" She asks when they're all settled.

Meredith shrugs, taking a couple of deep breaths to calm herself. Cristina picks up on her mood, realizing she doesn't want to talk. After knowing each other for as long as they have, the twisted sisters can read each other like books.

They reach the house, parking, and walking inside.

"Hello?" Alex calls out. Upon getting no answer, he looks around the main floor, finding no one. "It seems we have the house to ourselves."

Meredith takes off her shoes and jacket, leaving them by the door. "I'm gonna take a shower, I can finally wash this leg." She cracks, a tiny hint of a smile on her face before she turns and walks upstairs.

"Shit, I forgot to lock the car." Alex realizes, dashing back out of the house to the still-warm car. A few seconds later, he comes back a tan envelope in his hands. Cristina is sitting in the living room, on her phone as Alex sits next to her. "Did you see this?"