Chapter Twenty

Meredith is shaking as she enters the large, welcoming building twenty minutes from her house. Cristina and Olivia are on either side of her, Olivia in full agent mode, constantly scanning for danger and keeping Meredith away from crowds or anyone suspicious. 

"Appointment for Meredith Grey," Cristina checks in her friend for her. The receptionist nods, smiling a big smile,  all too fake.

"Of course! Please, have a seat, you'll be called back shortly."

Meredith turns and finds the quietest spot she can, away from people. Olivia follows, standing about five feet from Meredith, giving her some space but being close enough to react in case anything happens. Cristina sits next to the blonde, tenderly placing a comforting hand on her leg.

Meredith plays with her hands in her lap, keeping her gaze towards the ground. Across the room, there's a younger woman with her hand resting atop a huge stomach, as well as a couple with another child fidgeting next to them. After what seems like hours of waiting and hundreds of pages of paperwork, her name is finally called and the three women stand. 

"Do you want me to wait out here or go with you?" Cristina stops Meredith before she can go back. After a minute of hesitation, Meredith grabs her friend's hand and pulls Cristina close to her body, following the nurse back to an exam room. Olivia trails behind, stopping outside of the room to take her post, but also give them some privacy. 

"Okay, undress from the waist down, here's a nice paper cloth for you, and the doctor will be in shortly." The nurse says after the door is closed. Meredith freezes and hesitantly meets the short, brunette nurse's gaze.

"Do I have to?" 

The nurse frowns, confused. "Um, yes, the exam will be done transvaginally."

Meredith throws a helpless look at Cristina, but the nurse leaves before they can argue more. "I can leave if you want, I'll wait right outside." The cardio surgeon offers.

"No, stay," Meredith assures her quickly, not wanting to be alone. "Olivia's right outside, right? No one can..." She trails off, her gaze flicking nervously to the door.

"Olivia's right outside. You're safe here Meredith, it's okay." 

Taking a calming breath, Meredith nods and strips her clothes, Cristina turning away to give her some privacy. Once she's settled uncomfortably on the table, Cristina faces her again.

"I don't like this," Meredith mumbles, pressing her legs together. Before Cristina can respond, there's a soft knock at the door and it opens, the doctor walking in and shutting it behind her. A genuine smile appears on Meredith's face. "Addison." 

The tall redhead returns the smile. "Meredith, it's been too long. I'm sorry we're seeing each other again under these circumstances."

"Me too, though I wouldn't trust anyone else." The blonde laughs, her tone light but truth shadowing her words.

Addison Montgomery used to work at Seattle Grace back when Meredith was an intern. The two women bonded quickly, but when the neonatal surgeon left the hospital early in Meredith's residency, they lost touch. 

"So, a Harper Avery, that's big news, congratulations." Addison starts making small talk as she moves around the exam room, preparing whatever she needs.

"Yeah. How about you, I heard you're married now? How's it feel?" 

"Jake Riley is an amazing man, first and hopefully last husband." She jokes. Meredith forces a small smile, watching the doctor move in front of her. Addison wears a sky blue dress with her white lab coat over it, accompanied by some heels that probably cost a thousand dollars alone. Finally, the redhead sits on the rolling stool at the edge of Meredith's bed, an ultrasound machine not a foot away. "I've seen the news." She starts slowly, watching the blonde carefully to see how she's responding.