chapter 5: for her light

The president quickly came back and set two perfect cups of black tea on the table. This feels so odd since I am normally the one making tea for her. However, I'm sure her tea tastes much better than mine considering how much of a tea fanatic she is. She handed me my cup of tea in an expensive-looking china cup. As I carefully took the warm drink from her hands, our hands lightly brushed against each other. She most likely didn't even notice, but even the slightest touch from her was enough to make my face go red and send a shock down my spine. "T-thank you very much, president! This Tupperware is so lovely." I said, flustered. Her eyes sparkled as she took a seat and replied, "Thank you, Sayaka. This is one of my favorite blends of black tea. I only make it when someone special to me comes over."

Did I hear that correctly? Did she say I was special to her? My heart began to race and my eyes shot down as I struggled to hold back a smile. I took a sip of the tea in hopes of hiding my emotions. "Wow, it's delicious!" I beamed. She smiled at me as she also took a sip. "Now," she began, "why don't we start with that small pile next to you." I turned to my right and picked up the few papers placed neatly on top of each other. "Sounds good. It appears the majority of these are just documents that need to be approved and signed." I said as I handed a couple of the papers to the president, who was sitting across from me.

About an hour passed of boring work that was only filled with work-related conversations. The president picked up another stack of papers until she noticed a sticky note on the top. "Ara," she said softly as she read the note. "What is it, president?". I ask. "It appears we missed this note stating that the rest of these papers are actually due next Saturday instead of this Saturday." I leaned over the table a bit to read the note. Huh, that's weird; I could have sworn everything was due tomorrow. "Well then, we've finished all of the work we needed to it seems," the president said. I guess I had high hopes for nothing. I was actually looking forward to spending this extra time with her, even if it was just for work. I began to stand up as I said, "Well I guess I should get go-" I stopped mid sentence, startled, as the president quickly grasped my hand. "Sayaka, please stay."