Chapter 9

Olivia Baker was called in to the police station for questioning. If anyone had a bigger motive than Clay Jensen, it was Hannah's mother, Olivia Baker. She is brought into the interrogation room where she is being questioned by Sheriff Diaz.

Sheriff Diaz: Thank you very much for coming back to town. It's very kind of you.

Olivia Baker: I don't think kindness had anything to do with it. I believe I was instructed.

Sheriff Diaz: Yes, well, we just have a few more questions. Some new information has come our way since we last spoke, and... we'd just like to clarify a few things.

Olivia Baker: All right.

Sheriff Diaz: All right. Now, we last spoke on November 7th. That's the day after Bryce Walker's body was found.

Olivia Baker: Yes, I remember.

Sheriff Diaz: You told us you were in town for the closing of your house.

Olivia Baker: That's correct.

Sheriff Diaz: But we checked the courthouse records. Your house closed on the 31st. But you stayed in town into the next week. Over that weekend, Bryce went missing.

Olivia Baker: I'm sorry, is there a question you'd like to ask, Sheriff?

Sheriff Diaz: Why lie to us about these dates?

Olivia Baker: I didn't. I came in to close on the house and I stayed to deal with furniture and my storage unit.

Sheriff Diaz: Did you happen to see anyone?

Olivia Baker: Like who?

Sheriff Diaz: Who did you see?

Olivia Baker: Well, I saw my ex-husband more than I'd like to. Ah, I saw some friends.

Sheriff Diaz: Clay Jensen?

Olivia Baker: No. I didn't see Clay Jensen.

Sheriff Diaz: But the two of you spoke on the phone?

Olivia Baker: No.

Sheriff Diaz: Clay's phone records show three calls from you the day before the Homecoming game and one the night of.

Olivia Baker: He didn't answer.

Sheriff Diaz: The night of the Homecoming game... the night Bryce Walker was murdered... there's a call from you that lasted one minute and 47 seconds. So, it seems like he did answer.

Olivia Baker: He didn't. I left a message, but... you would know that if you had his phone.

Sheriff Diaz: Well, we don't at the moment, just his phone records.

Olivia Baker: Well, then. And I have some questions for you, actually. Did you know that this department has put more investigative efforts into solving the murder of a convicted rapist than it ever did for any of his former victims?

Sheriff Diaz: I'm sure that is not correct.

Olivia Baker: And did you also know that one of those victims had to come down here twice before anyone in this building would even believe her?

Sheriff Diaz: I did know that, yes.

Olivia Baker: So maybe you can understand why I might have difficulty trusting your operation, or any police in general these days, Sheriff, because I can't help but wonder if all this added muscle all of a sudden might have something to do with the family that rapist was born into.