Where's Alyss?

⚠️SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T READ A NEW BEGINNING⚠️

"WHAT?" HALT STARED AT the two guards, their words echoing in his mind. She's dead. She's gone. No. It couldn't be. He didn't want to believe it.

Pauline laid a hand on his arm. "What happened?" she asked the two men. One ran a hand through his hair, his hand visibly shaking.

"There was a fire," he began. "A fire set by Jory Rulh and his gang. Most of us escaped, but there was a little girl inside. And Lady Alyss...she ran back in there, and got the girl out, but the inn collapsed before she could get herself out. There was no body found."

Halt looked at Pauline. There was dread and intense sadness in those blue eyes, both for her former student and for the one who would have to hear the news of his dead wife. "Thank you," he said to the guards, waving a hand. They took the hint and left the room.

He turned to Baron Arald, who sat with a stunned look on his face. "Alyss...dead?" Halt shook his head, words denying him. He had no idea what to say...there was nothing to say. Alyss was gone. And she wasn't coming back.

"I have to go," he said a moment later, turning away. "He needs to know."

"Halt." Arald stopped him. "He should be here any moment. You know he always waits here for her to return, and that was supposed to be today."

A horrible pit formed in Halt's stomach. His former apprentice had no idea of the event that had just transpired. He would walk in here, a smile on his face and a playful light in his eyes, not realizing that the clouds had just moved it...the thought of it made him sick.

No one said anything. The silence was thick, a mournful air filling the room. Alyss was dead.

A knock suddenly sounded on the door. "Come in," Arald called. The door swung open and a short, slightly-built figure entered the room.

"Halt! Pauline!" Will exclaimed in surprise, smiling. "I didn't expect to see you here."

Halt attempted a smile in return, but it was a poor effort. "Will," he said. The younger Ranger saw the look and his brow creased in confusion.

"What's wrong?" he asked. And then, looking around, he added, "And where's Alyss?"

The silence was back. Will stared at Halt, those brown eyes confused and even a little fearful. "Halt..."

Halt looked at Pauline, and he saw the tears shining in her eyes. Sighing, he turned back to Will, who stood there, the smile gone. "Will..." He hesitated, and then plunged in. "There was a fire at the inn she was staying at, set by a man named Jory Ruhl and his gang. Alyss went back in to save a little girl. The girl was saved..." He closed his eyes, forcing himself to continue. "Before Alyss could get out...the inn collapsed, Will."

When he opened his eyes again, Will's face had gone blank, his eyes shuttered. "Halt," he said again, his voice quivering. "What..."

"She's dead, Will."

The young man flinched at the word, shaking his head. Tears filled those brown eyes, and Halt felt his heart breaking for him. Will took a step back, balling his hands.

"No. No. That can't be right. She can't be."

"I'm sorry," Halt said, his voice cracking. Will shook his head again, his mouth gaping open as the tears began to spill.

"You're lying," he spat, and whirled around, marching out the door.