Chapter 2

Iwaizumi's POV

I watched as Oikawa ran off while I dragged the dead deer over to my horse. As carefully as I could without hurting myself or my horse, I hauled the carcass over the back of my horse and used a rope to secure it. My horse shook his head at me, making me smile slightly and pat the side of his head.

"Sorry. Come on let's go." I said, placing my foot in the stirrup and sitting in the saddle. I heeded Oikawa's advice, and took the trails to my left. It was a little longer than the other way, but I could hear all of the howls and noise from the right. So I guess he was right. 

Once I was back at the village, I took the hunt to the local butcher and took the money he gave me. It wasn't as much as usual.. They were lowering the prices of things, and it made things far more difficult for me. I just sighed, returning home after taking my horse to his stable. When my dad saw my arm, he sighed.

"Hajime are you alright?"

"I'm fine dad."

"What happened out there." 

"Just a couple of wolves."

"Wolves!?"

"Yes wolves."

"By the gods Hajime you could have died."

"But I didn't, dad."

"How many."

"Small pack of them."

"How did you make it out alive.."

"Someone saved me." I said, setting down the small pouch of money on the old wooden table. I looked around, asking where my mom was. My dad just saying she was in bed. Another reason that the lowered payment was making things difficult. My mother was ill, and I needed the money for foods and medicines for her.

"Who saved you?" My dad asked, changing the topic back to this. I sighed, walking over to the old fireplace and adding another log to burn to keep us warm tonight.

"A werewolf."

"A werewolf?"

"Yeah."

"Well, after what they did to us I'm surprised." He said with a sigh. My dad wasn't exactly fond of werewolves, or really any other creatures other than humans after what happened to his parents. And I didn't blame him, but I've personally never been attacked my anything other than actual wild animals.

I gave my dad a small smile and told him that I was okay. He nodded, heading off to bed while I sat down in front of the fire. Keeping it going and also just warming myself by it. I know there were always the occasional reports of someone being killed by werewolves, but after being saved by one. I guess they all weren't so bad.  

Oikawa's POV

After hunting down a rabbit in my passing home, I climbed into the 'burrow' I had made years ago. Yes there were a ton of werewolves who were much more civilized and lived in normal homes and even in villages, but I never had the opportunity nor time to do that.

So. I lived in a burrow that I had dug out myself. I've been inside of normal homes, and they were certainly nicer. But I guess this wasn't so bad, a bit dark but I made it work. And it was a lot bigger than you'd think, so it fit me comfortably. Well. Me and one other werewolf. 

"Hi daddy."

"Hi pup, here, I brought dinner." I said, dropping the rabbit down. The little werewolf girl, Yui, wandered over, skinning the rabbit like I taught her before eating. I guess a dark burrow wasn't so bad since we also could see pretty well in the dark. Since, you know, animalistic characteristic we had.

"Do you want any??" 

"No thank you."

"Aren't you hungry though?"She asked with a mouthful of the meat. I smiled slightly, shaking my head.

"No I'm alright, you eat that." I said with a sigh. Honestly yes I was hungry, but my daughter came first. She ate loudly while I moved over to the corner of the burrow where we slept. After she was done eating, she ran over to me and curled up.

I tilted her face up to look at me, sighing when she had blood on her cheeks from the meal. I licked my finger and wiped it all off her before letting her resume curling up cozily. Her tail managed to end up smacking me in the face several times, but finally she settled and went to sleep.

I shook my head slightly and just pulled my little one closer, letting my tail lay over her like a blanket. An issue with living in the woods, which others did as well, was that when it was cold, it was cold. And even though we had animalistic features like ears, tails, fangs and claws, it isn't like we were covered in fur to keep us warm.

I wonder what happened to that hunter, Iwaizumi. I wonder if he made it back home safely. I've strangely enough never seen him around here before, but perhaps he was here later than normal since he got caught up in that wolf attack. Well, he was lucky that I just happened to be passing by while hunting. Otherwise he was done for. 

Yui shifted in her sleep, her ears whacking my chin. As much as I love her, I didn't exactly love getting smacked in the face so often by her ears or tail. Not that she could exactly control it, so I didn't blame her. After she was done tossing and turning, I rested my chin on the top of her head. Both to keep her still and because it was a decently comfortable position 

I stared off at the entrance of the burrow, sighing gently. Next to no light could get in here, but that also meant that it was well hidden so nothing else could come in here. If it was just me, I'd make the burrow shallower. But with my daughter, I wasn't going to take any risks until she was an adult and could defend herself.

Pushing the thoughts aside, I let out a yawn and curled my tail up a little bit tighter to trap the warmth. It wasn't too long until I fell asleep with something still on my mind.