3.6

Julien is too perfect a human to be from this planet.

I told him I'd take him somewhere this time, so of course we went to my spot by the river. "What a view," he'd said.

I smiled at him and grabbed his hand. "Right?"

He grabbed my other hand, pulling me in close to his chest. "How'd you find it?"

"I'm an uncreative artist; I need to find pretty things."

"You drew this?"

"Mhm."

"You've got more talent in your little finger than I do in my whole body."

"Ah, please. You've got to be good at something."

"Besides catching a football and running? I don't think so."

"Well hey! That's something."

"Ah, yes, sports. Where 90% of young boy's dreams die."

"Most artists are in the same boat, you know."

"Not the good ones." He planted a quick kiss on my lips.

I rolled my eyes. "Suck up."

"Well, it's true."

"What're you going to do when you graduate, then? Any plans? It's not very far away now..."

"I'm going to try and get into the College in Santa Fe... it's a family thing. And I'm thinking physiotherapy, maybe. I'm getting a summer job to help pay..."

"That's cool. Where are you going to work?"

"The Grill. My friend Matt hooked me up."

"Ah, yeah." Matt Donovan- he's been a busboy there for years now. Poor guy had to support his entire family with his dad being gone, his mom alcoholic and sister druggie... damn.

"You know him?"

"Yeah- he's in my sister's friend group. Dated her, too. I liked him."

"...sister?"

"...Elena."

His jaw dropped a bit. "Gilbert. Of course. I didn't put two and two together." He laughed at himself and shook his head. "Duh." But then he sighed, and looked over at the water.

"Something wrong?" I asked, studying his ever pretty face.

"Nono, I'm just thinking."

"Well. Do tell."

"I guess... I guess it just kind of sank in how much younger you are. Next year, I'll be starting college and you'll be starting junior year."

I hoped this wasn't the beginning of the end. I've never really thought about it; everyone I've dated was at least a senior in high school or much, much older. But maybe he thought it was strange.

"...I'll be leaving you behind." He finished and my heart clenched. I can't take his cuteness. And I sighed in relief, because I am so paranoid.

"Oh, Julien. That is so not a today problem."

He half-smiled. "You're right. We've got time."

"Exactly. It doesn't matter right now." I kissed him, and we had another lovely date, in my favorite place with potentially my new favorite person.

Jeremy Gilbert