Memory Lane

Summer 2001
(3 & a half years before this book starts)

"Come on bear boy it's not that big of a jump." Celeste called up to Paul.

"Excuse me if I choose life over am adrenaline rush!"

"You won't die! I promise."

"Pinky promise?" He held out his pinky even though he knew they couldn't lock pinkies.

"Pinky promise!" She yelled back and held her pinky up too. Paul nodded once and then jumped off the cliff into the water where his best friend was waiting. He came up gasping for air while Celeste cheered him on. "You did it bear boy!" She wrapped her arms around him. "So what do you have to say to me?"

"You were right and I was wrong."

"Exactly." Paul rolled his eyes and pushes her head under the water. She came up spitting water and shaking her hair out of her face.

"That's it I'm gonna get you for that one Pauly."

"Oh really?"

"Yea really."

"Alright then come at me!"

Christmas 2004
(A year and a few months before this book)

Celeste was throwing pebbles at a window, specifically Paul's bedroom window.

"Come on Pauly, it's freezing out here." The girl whispered to herself. She threw a few more pebbles before a mess of black hair came into view. "Finally."

"Onyx?" Paul calls down.

"No it's God, yes dumbass." Celeste huffs and wraps her arms around herself.

"Okay give me a sec." Paul disappeared from the window and opened the front door a minute or so later. "What are you doing here it's 2 in the morning Crazy!" Paul said as he pulled the girl inside the house.

"Yes but its two in the morning on Christmas!" She did weird jazz hands. "Merry Christmas Pauly bear." Paul stared at her for a minute before shaking his head and laughing.

"Merry Christmas Onyx." She hugged the boy and then pulled away. She pulled a box out of her bag slightly bouncing as she handed it to him.

"Open it open it open it." She chanted while beaming at him.

"I'm opening it." He laughed and stopped when he saw the picture. It was 7 year old them with their Pinkies interlocked. "Onyx."

"I have another gift too." She handed him a small jewelry box.

"You're great and all Onyx But marriage?" Paul teases. "I mean what would the tribe say?" Celeste let out a little laugh. "You know what who cares! Yes a thousand times yes!" He said throwing his arms around her.

"You didn't even open it you dope!"

"Is it not my dream 24 karat diamond engagement ring?"

"Sadly no. Now open it." Paul finally listened and opened the small box. It was a ring, it was a thin and wide black metal ring, plain. "Look at the inside." Paul took the ring out to see promise engraved ok the inside. "It's for your pinky." Paul just looked up and hugged the girl.