Chapter Six

CHAPTER SIX: BRIGHT

Unnecessary aggression is not justice or strength it is human weakness and desire. 
-C.A.A. Savastano

Before he fell asleep, Jasper asked me to just let him sleep in but still do my morning run, as he was tired from yesterday's stress but still wanted to keep up our schedule.

Right as I got inside, the practice drill- -I don't quite know what it's for yet, tornado, earthquake, shooter- -started blaring.

My adrenaline starts pumping, making all my tics worse but as I see Jasper all my insecurities about acting this way fly out the window.

Because there Jasper Red is, curling into himself on the floor muttering to no one in particular to take him away.

He looks terrified.

As fast as I could, I crouch next to him, turning him over but that only seems to make it worse as he whimpers. His fingers hide his face, the grip he has on himself seeming to almost be painful.

This has been the only time I have been grateful that I used to haul my teammates up after every game or party and fight Atlas and take Nemesis to bed if she dropped from exhaustion.

Because now, with my arms wrapped around him, I can lift the musician off the ground. He whimpers again, slumping down but I manage to keep us both up right.

Why is he so tall and big?

I can just lift him but god dammit, if he's this upset at being where he is I'm going to help.

Taking him to the bathroom down the hall, I stumble all the way there but as soon as we step inside the sound is dampened.

Keeping him resting between me and the wall, so he doesn't hurt himself somehow and I'm blocking the door from him because whatever is in there is the problem, I climb onto the counter and open the small alarm.

I can't figure out how to get the battery out, so I break it.

Um...oops?

I guess I'll pay for a new one later and I don't even really care that I just broke something, it was bound to happen with how bad my tics are right now and I really, really want Jasper to stop crying.

Climbing down, I gently wipe his tears best I can and thankfully, he does quiet down.

Without warning, Jasper slumps into me, making me stumble into the counter which I tell you, is quite painful for the hips.

Easing him back into the wall, I struggle to hold him up but sooner rather than later he's able to slide down the wall. He causes me to stumble down to, one of his long legs spread out on either side of me.

Not knowing what else to do, I stay there and just try to knock him out of this.

Whatever this is, anyway.

"Jasp-" I growl, not wanting to touch him because of how jerky I am but more than thankful as his hands slowly lower from his face to show me his minty, tear stained eyes.

God I need to get myself under control.

"I'm so sorry," Jasper whimpers out, trying to sit up but unable to. Concern, more than I already have, enters my system. "I didn't mean t-to, I didn't mean to worry you. I just-- the noise-- I couldn't... I couldn't even see and, and--"

The noise?

What does the noise have to do with it -did the sound trigger a panic attack or something? Is that what's happening?