Chapter Eight

CHAPTER EIGHT: GROWL

If she could find a man who could feel and laugh as well as desire, she might even think about thinking about marriage. 
-Melanie Rawn

It's not meeting new people but the car ride that makes me nervous.

I've never liked being in cars much because of my tics, I'll smack windows, grab the wheel and the few times I've had to drive- -I do have my license- -it was completely nerve wracking.

Jasper seems nervous too.

That, I can't figure out.

All I know is that the more nervous he gets the more my brain searches for reasons to be nervous and it comes up with this: It was probably annoying that I tic when I'm flirting with him and then tic when I'm kissing him.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a virgin but the people who I have been with have found it weird that even when I'm intimate, the tics don't stop.

I can't stop them.

Some people just don't understand that.

None of my relationships have gotten serious for this reason -I've gotten too much, too weird, to be anyone's boyfriends.

Guys are, mostly, dumb.

And I say that knowing I am one.

We park at a relatively spacious and empty bus stop, save for the five people grouped together.

"Hey, Jitterbug," I say, turning to meet his eye. "I don't think you know how to count."

"Uh, why?"

"You said three," Motioning to his family, I growl. "That's five."

"Oh! But only three are my siblings," Jasper smiles sheepishly. "I misunderstood the question, sorry."

"You don't have to apologize." I grumble. "Who are the other two?"

"Viv's older brothers, our families are really close. Damien is the one holding hands with Nyx and Axel was the one getting shoved by Dela-" Jasper yelps as his door is pulled open and he's pulled out just as harshly, one of the other two- -Axel I think it is- -spinning him around.

I take a moment to fully comprehend what just happened before noticing the way Jasper's hands are clutching onto Axel's shoulders and something he said makes the other boy giggle.

The anger in me that I haven't been able to release yet comes back but I stop myself from saying anything as I climb out, putting the car keys in my pocket.

"Aw, Jazz!" The man coos, causing me to instantly start glaring at him. "Look at you! Cutie, did you grow?"

Cutie?

What the fuck.

My jaw clenches, the dirty look I'm shooting Axel only grows.

"Get off, you mongrel," The musician's words are muffled as the boy holds him rather tightly. "Axel!"

"What?" Axel laughs out, hand coming up to hold his face with a heavy hand, one that makes my fists clenched in my pockets. "I haven't seen you in a couple months, I'm allowed to be happy to see you! Besides, I gotta see how college has been treating you. You're a fucking genius but you're also the most densest person I know."

If he doesn't let go like Jasper said, I'm definitely hurting him.

"That's not fair!" Before I can, Jasper pulls himself out of Axel's grasp. "I'm smart, yes, but not a genius. You can't expect me to just not get stuck in my head."