Aftershock (Injured Levi x Reader)

Author's Note: FYI, this part contains spoilers for chapter 135 of the manga. I practically died while I was reading it, and now, all I want to do is jump into the story and do basically everything that I wrote about below.

You knew immediately that the damage was serious.

As soon as Falco landed, as soon as your eyes found Levi, you sprinted to get to him, fearing the worst.

Ms. Azumabito had already told you about the thunderspear explosion, and that in and of itself was enough to cause deep concern. Ackerman or not, Levi shouldn't have been fighting in his condition. Unfortunately, you had arrived too late to stop him from going. Now, you could only hope that you weren't too late to save his life.

You didn't bother waiting for a stretcher. As gingerly as you could, you lifted Levi in your arms, careful not to cause any more damage or pain. While you carried him inside, Mikasa walked a step behind you, explaining how his leg had been injured, as well as how she had seen him cough up blood.

Your body went cold. You knew it was a possibility when Ms. Azumabito delivered the grim news earlier, but all the same, you had been praying that it wasn't so. "Blast lung", as it was called, was the most common fatal injury among initial survivors of explosions. And with the equipment you had available, it would be terribly difficult to fix.

Still, you had to try.

You were the head of the military's medical team, and although you had been trained to fight, you were of more use tending to wounded soldiers. You had spent the past four years becoming an expert in every new technology and procedure that became available once your small island was exposed to the rest of the world. You just hoped that all of that knowledge would be enough to save the man you loved.

The others gave Levi over to your care, knowing that he was in the best possible hands. As they planned their next move against Eren, your medical team helped you anesthetize Levi, put him on oxygen, and manage his fluids. You also slipped a tube down his throat to prevent his airways from collapsing. All the while, you had to fight to keep a cool head, trying not to break down at the sight of so many needles and tubes attached to your lover.

Once you had done all you could for his lungs, you began surgery on his left leg, where the titan had bitten him. If he survived, the injury would take months to heal, as well as prolonged physical therapy. But you would think about that later.

You examined the wounds on his face and hand that Hanji had stitched up. After ensuring that they were clean, you checked for other injuries as best you could. You knew that explosions could cause all kinds of internal damage – to the brain, the ears, the eyes, the abdomen. Unfortunately, you didn't have all the necessary equipment on board the ship to ensure that none of those things had happened. In fact, some of the necessary equipment didn't even exist.

Finally, after hours of working, there was nothing more to do. Your squad left you alone with Levi, and at last, you allowed yourself to feel the fear that you had been fighting this entire time. You sank down into a chair, staring at Levi with unblinking eyes.

You didn't think you could take it if you lost him.

Trembling, you made your way to his bed and slipped under the covers, careful not to disturb any of the medical equipment. You snuggled up against him, giving him your body heat, trying to feel any sort of reassurance from the fact that he hadn't died yet.

"Please, stay with me," you whispered against his skin. You felt tears prick your eyes, but you didn't bother to wipe them away as you continued hoarsely, "I know it hurts. I know you've lost so much, and you've sacrificed so much, but please...just please, try. I promise that I'll do whatever I can to give you a happy life. So don't die, okay?" You took a shuddering breath. "I love you."