P R O L O G U E

For the most part, middle school was easy for Moxie, home was the real struggle. Meeting Sam was the best thing to happen to her. They became the support system they never had. They used each other as an excuse to get out of the house. Moxie and Sam would spend hours and hours in the library, reading, and researching. Moxie was more creative of the two, creating worlds in her head and writing them down, keeping thousands of journals full of stories. Sam spent his time researching topics that excited him, urban legends, and ghost stories. Moxie hoped these days would never end, that everything would stay the same, but things rarely do.
Sam left. Life changed. Moxie now knew that the nightmares that went bump in the night were truly real. Her dad passed away, leaving her to live with her mom, who she previously only saw on the weekends.
Moving to California wasn’t the worst thing, but it did shake things up. Moxie was finishing her Junior year of high school and starting her senior year when Sam walked back into her life.
She and Sam started hanging around just like the old days except now they were adults. She was still unnerved by how tall he was, he used to be shorter than her!
Sam joined Stanford, where he met Jessica, while Moxie got accepted into her dream college, Vanderbilt University. So fate pulled them apart again.
On graduation day she looked out at the crowd and saw Dean. She glanced around looking for Sam, but he was not there. From that day on, she stopped looking, deciding that fate didn’t want them together.
Moxie got Dean’s number and started hunting by herself while writing urban legends books inspired by her hunting experiences on the side. Under the pen name, Kathrine Wilton, who never made public appearances to her fans.
And so our story begins…