Chapter 5: Heated Battle

When I was younger I had always dreamed of adventure and thrill. When I was a little girl, before the day I'd been burned, I'd always wondered what was out there beyond the wide ocean and hoped to find out. I wanted to go on a journey and learn about the world beyond our snow covered land. I didn't realize at that age that with adventure also came great danger. Currently, my danger was a middle-aged man who leered at Zuko with challenging eyes.

The young prince looked ten times whiter than he originally had, and I could tell he wasn't sure what to do. Zhao had him cornered. Zhao knew about the Avatar. The young prince had just told him everything since he had no choice. My secret was out, Aang was in danger, and Zuko looked like a lost polar-pup.

Thankfully, he kept my sister's waterbending on the down low. It seemed the crew had as well, and I was relieved.

"So, not only did you get pounded by an amateur waterbender, but also a twelve-year-old boy bested you and your firebenders?" Zhao narrowed his eyes at the young man. "You're more pathetic than I thought."

Zuko growled. "I underestimated him once, but it will not happen again."

Commander Zhao turned from Zuko and stared at the map on the wall. "No, it will not, because you won't have a second chance."

My eyes widened. What was Zhao saying? I looked over at Iroh, but I could see he was only watching in concern and silence. He clearly had no authority over Zhao. Despite being the Fire Lord's brother, it appeared Zhao was of higher rank than Iroh and had the final say at this moment... I was a bit surprised by this. I had expected at least as someone of royalty, Iroh could intervene... but it appeared being Zuko's uncle and a retired general meant little when it came to the Fire Nation military. And clearly Zuko had no authority either.

Zuko protested. "Commander Zhao, I've been hunting the Avatar for two years and I..."

Zhao turned sharply to Zuko, spitting, "And you failed! Capturing the Avatar is too important to leave in a teenager's hands. He's mine now."

As Zhao decided his next course of action to go after Aang and my family, I felt panic rise.

No... No! Aang!

What would he do to my family and the young boy if he captured them?!

Zhao's eyes shot over to me again and he scowled. "You're lucky I don't take the waterbender off your hands. There's nothing to stop me." He looked back at Zuko. "You clearly can't control her, and she has caused you to let your guard down. Allowing a waterbender to walk around so freely just shows me you clearly do not understand the risks."

Iroh came to my defense. "Crystal is no threat, Commander Zhao. And as I stated before, she is Prince Zuko's prisoner. Taking her would be stealing what is rightfully his."

He scoffed. "His? I never pegged you to be so depraved, Prince Zuko. However, I suppose almost three years at sea without the company of a woman would make you seek out something for plea-"

"It isn't like that!" Zuko snapped. "Don't you dare accuse me of such a thing! I'm not a lecherous beast like you!"

Zhao sneered. He shot his gaze to me and then back at Zuko. His assumption had made me sick to my stomach.

"Very well... I can see even if I try to take her your Uncle will only continue to argue. And the law does state that she is your rightful property. I will drop the matter for now. She'll be a consolation for you now that you have no mission or hope."

Sweat beaded down my forehead as Zhao turned to leave the tent. Zuko had jumped up from his chair and lunged at Zhao only to be restrained by the two guards at the tent entrance. Without facing the young prince, Zhao said calmly, "Keep them here." He then left the tent completely, and Zuko glared daggers at his back.