Chapter 8: Cooling the Flame

The ship swayed as I tried to move my body against the wall to get comfortable. It had been twenty-four hours since I attacked Zuko, and so far I had been alone. I was dying of thirst, and my stomach was empty. My ankles and wrists were numb and caked in dry blood from my struggles. My body ached, my head hurt, and my heart was in agony. The whole time I sat in my cell, in the dark, all I could think about was Aang and my family.

Aang... Katara... Sokka... Please escape...

The ship had stopped only a few minutes ago. I knew this because when the ship stopped the halt sent me falling on my side. My arms were behind my back, so I hadn't been able to catch myself. Thankfully there was a moldy cot I managed to fall onto. It was a struggle to sit back up though, but I managed.

Shutting my eyes, I tried to picture good thoughts. Zuko would lead his men through Kyoshi Island, but Aang and my family would easily escape him. I prayed that the empty cells around me would stay just the same: empty.

I was perfectly fine without cell mates...

Eventually, after a long silence passed, there was a sudden quake in the boat that sent me falling again. I gasped as this time my body fell on the steel instead of the cot. Something must've hit the ship, and it was something from below. Pressing my ear to the steel, I heard the mutest noise. It was like a very dim growl, and it echoed through the floor. There was some type of creature in the water, and I knew it was probably big from the force it just had. I shut my eyes not wanting to die being eaten by whatever swam below the ship. I knew nothing about the creatures of the world past my South Pole land.

It seemed another thirty minutes passed. I hadn't moved from my spot, too sore and tired to move again. Also, I was kind of enjoying the cold steel against my cheek. My arm was uncomfortable on the steel, but I was tired of moving when all I kept doing was falling down and bruising myself more.

The ship was moving again. I felt us skimming through the sea once more, leaving land.

The door to the cell hall opened suddenly, and heavy steps stomped in. I somehow maneuvered into a seating position again not wanting to look weak. Just as I sat up, Prince Zuko came into my vision. He held a torch which he placed on the wall. Originally, I'd been in the dark. This sudden light source made me cringe.

"I hope you're happy," he spoke, his voice strained as he tried not to yell. "The Avatar and his friends escaped me. That stupid boy's pet is too fast!"

My throat was hoarse, but I was able to speak. "Yeah... I am happy. I'm actually elated! If Aang's pet was here right now I'd give the big guy a kiss of gratitude."

He growled. He turned and walked over to my bars crossing his arms. I was surprised to see his topknot was dripping and so were his shirt and pants. He had taken his shoes off. "I can see you still need to learn your lesson." His eyes looked over my state, and then an idea struck him. He sneered. "How's about this... You tell me where the Avatar is headed, and I'll take off your restraints to make your stay in this cell more comfortable."

"I'm perfectly comfortable," I lied. I sat against the wall and rested my head back. The movement hurt and I tried not to flinch.

Zuko looked at my position seeing through my fib. "I doubt that." He leaned forward. "Don't make things worse for yourself. If you behave, I'll think about letting you out in the next few hours. Where is the Avatar headed?"

I kept strong. I spat, "Definitely not towards you."

He grit his teeth to keep from yelling at me. Quickly, he pinched the bridge of his nose to try and keep calm. "You're only making this worse for yourself. Tell me what I want to know, and your punishment won't continue for much longer."