Chapter 48: My Reflection

Crystal POV

Moving my hand through the air absentmindedly, I let the thick fog before me dance around my fingertips as I leaned forward against the side of Appa's saddle. I was so thankful the Water Tribe Warriors had helped us construct a new one. Katara kept the fog over us as we traveled forward through the enemy's territory. While we were all anxious about being completely surrounded by the Fire Nation, I was excited to see new sights and lands. I was especially interested in seeing the world Zuko had grown up in. Of course, currently the only one seeing anything was Aang who steered Appa along. Momo slept on Zuko's lap who pet him absently, while Sokka looked over a map. Toph was lying back with boredom, ready to land so she could see again.

"I wonder how much farther the outer island is," Katara thought aloud. "I feel like we should've gotten there by now."

Zuko answered. "Usually I'd be able to tell you if we were on a ship, but Appa travels much faster so I don't really know. From Roku's Temple to the mainland, usually it's a day trek by boat. We left the melted temple at sunset and it's sunrise, so if anything we should be getting there soon."

Toph added, "At least Sokka's not steering us, because if he were it would become a three day trip."

Sokka defended himself. "I'm great with directions!"

Aang chimed in up front, "He did help us get to the North Pole."

"It's the North Pole. You just go north. Not that hard," Katara commented.

Zuko sighed, and I looked over at him with question. The rest of the group fell silent in curiosity too. He was surprised when he saw the sudden attention he was getting. He looked at the eyes on him with a start, asking, "What?"

"You sighed," Toph answered. "What's up, Sparky?"

Zuko grimaced, looking over at me briefly and then back to Momo in his lap. "I was just remembering those long weeks of chasing you all up north. I was so determined to catch the Avatar and became blind to everything else..." He hung his head. "You all must've been exhausted constantly running from me."

Katara frowned. "Well, I do admit that you didn't make our life very easy having to constantly stay on alert and keep moving."

Sokka added with a shrug, "But, you weren't the only one chasing us so don't put all the blame on yourself. Zhao and his men were on our tail for a while too." He looked back at his map. "Besides, we preferred you over Zhao anyway. At least when you were on our tail, I felt better knowing my sister wasn't too far from my reach."

The thought of me being separated from my family made my gut twist. Guilt fell over Zuko, and he shut his eyes as he tore himself up over what Sokka said. I left my spot and scooted over to where Zuko was sitting against the side of the saddle. Moving beside him, I hugged him to give him some comfort. As Zuko hugged me back, Momo left his lap and moved over to where Sokka was to see what he was doing.

"I regret so many things," Zuko spoke softly. "I wish I could take back every fire ball I threw at you guys."

Katara smirked. "Don't worry, Zuko. We'll get you back for it. Especially when you and Crys have kids in the future. I'll be sure to tell them all about your failure to capture a twelve year old kid."

Zuko and I blushed simultaneously at the thought of having kids together. Her comment flustered the both of us to the point that her insult towards Zuko slid right by. Sokka shook his head."No, no! No talk about my sis having babies! I can't think about stuff like that."

Toph scoffed. "What do you think's gonna happen when they're married, Sokka? Do I need to talk with you about where you came from?"

Sokka's ears went red. "No! I don't need that talk!" He then pointed over at me. "You better not do anything but kiss!"