Chapter 28: Hard Topics

Zuko POV

Sitting beside Uncle, I stared at the doorway to the building seeing the sun was rising over the horizon. It had been hours since Uncle was struck by Azula's attack, and I knew the only reason he was alive was because of Crystal. After the Avatar and his giant pet took off yesterday, I'd managed to locate some more water in the town and find some tea leaves while I was rummaging through an abandoned Earth Kingdom home. I looked everywhere for the ostrich-horse I'd come to town on, but it appeared Zan had been scared off by the fighting and was long gone. When I got back to Uncle, I placed my findings in the corner of the room. Then sitting against the wall I drifted into a much needed sleep. When I woke up in the morning, I returned to my Uncle's side, anticipating his return to consciousness.

For the last few hours, I'd done all I could to not think about Crystal. However, having had the rest I desperately needed, I couldn't help but think back on all that had occurred.

Yesterday I was with Crystal, and today she was gone.

Yesterday I shared one last kiss with the girl I loved. Today, she was out of my reach forever.

My heart felt like it was being stabbed by a dagger as reality sunk in. Crystal was gone. She was gone and I probably would never see her again. Shutting my eyes tight, I felt tears build as I pictured her in my mind. We had been through so much together. She had taught me so many things. She had filled my life with a joy I hadn't felt in years.

She was the first person besides my Uncle to actually see past my scar and love me for me.

Why was fate so cruel? Why did the one girl I fall in love with have to be someone I couldn't have?

A tear escaped, and I felt the warm liquid slide down my cheek. I would miss her so much. Having to watch her leave yesterday was the most painful thing in the world. Every ounce of me wanted to stop her. Every part of my being wanted to fight her brother and pull her back into my hold.

However, I stopped myself. I knew I had to let her go...

For the first time in a very long time I took the right path.

If it was the right path though, why did I feel so horrible?

"From that look of great agony on your face, I assume Crystal is gone with her family..."

My Uncle's tired voice made me jump, and I opened my eyes to look down at him with surprise. He was still laying down with the blanket over him, but his eyes were looking over at me with concern.

"Uncle!" I was thrilled he was awake, and another tear escaped, only this time it was relief. "You were unconscious. Azula did this to you... It was a surprise attack..."

"Somehow, I'm not surprised..." Uncle sat up carefully, and the blanket fell from him. He winced at the movement, but he didn't seem to be in excruciating pain. He gazed down at the bandages on his chest, and then knowing filled his gaze. "I'm assuming Crystal is the reason I'm alive."

Nodding, I hung my head and averted my gaze from him. "Yeah... She healed you... Her sister left us some water to get us by. I haven't been able to find food in the area, so I'll head outside the village and look later..." My voice broke off as I felt the absence of the girl I loved.

"That's a good idea... I'm sure you're as hungry as I am." Silence fell over us as we both drifted into our own thoughts. My eyes shut tight as I felt my heart ache again. "This may not ease your burden, but I must say: I'm proud of you, Prince Zuko... I know you don't think so at the moment, but soon you'll see that you did the right thing... You made the right choice."