Chapter 19: Flowing River

"Land ho!"

The cry from the crow's-nest forced my eyes to turn from the card game Iroh was playing with some crewmen, out towards the horizon. Sure enough, a sliver of something long and dark could be seen where the sky met the sea. Zuko sighed beside me, glad to see the land that we were approaching.

We'd been on the ship for a week (longer than we intended), and over that course of time Zuko and I kept a lot to ourselves. Iroh managed to blend in well with the other men, but Zuko and I felt like outsiders. I could tell Zuko was uncomfortable and fearful they would discover his identity. He still didn't trust them even if they claimed to be civil towards the Fire Nation.

A day after we arrived onboard, Kahru gave me a pair of boots he'd grown out of. They were still rather big for my feet, but they would suffice until we managed to find money for new shoes. Kahru had also showed me to his father's own personal washroom, which was a small cabin room with a tub and buckets of water. He told me to freshen up, saying I looked like I could use the scrub. I honestly wasn't sure if I should've been insulted, but he had already turned to leave when I scowled at his remark.

It did feel very nice to freshen up. I washed off the grime and dirt on my skin, and managed to rinse out my salt drenched hair. After thirty minutes of scrubbing at my funk, I felt like a human being again. When I reemerged dressed in some of Kahru's old clothing, everyone was surprised at the girl underneath the rats-nest of hair. Zuko started to keep closer to me after that, feeling extra protective from the new attention I was getting from the men of the crew.

"Thank goodness," I said softly. "We can finally get on some land."

Zuko stared off at the shape in the distance that was starting to take the form of land, and I could tell he was suddenly anxious. We were headed into the Earth Kingdom, and he had no crew to journey with this time. My hand found his, and I squeezed it comfortingly letting him know it would be alright. He gave a small smile and squeezed my hand back, understanding my intentions.

"Whelp... Looks like you three will be shuffling off today. Hope the trip wasn't too bumpy."

Kahru's voice surprised both Zuko and I. Turning, we saw the seventeen-year-old with his arms crossed over his chest leaning against the pole to the crows-nest.

"No," I began. "The rides been great. We'll never be able to repay you or your father for your kindness." I bent down to bow slightly to the young man before me. This took both Kahru and Zuko off guard. Standing straight again, I blushed when I realized I'd done something none of them knew how to respond to. It was always custom back at the Water Tribe to bow to those who you felt great gratitude towards. Kahru, his father, and the crew had saved our lives and I was eternally grateful.

Kahru seemed to be even more flustered. "Er... It was nothing. We would've done it for anyone. Last thing we wanted was the three of you starving to death." He scratched the back of his neck trying to avoid my gaze.

Zuko spoke for what felt like the first time in hours. "How long will it take for us to reach land?"

At the new voice, Kahru looked over at Zuko with surprise. Then he smirked. "The mystery man finally speaks! I was beginning to think you were a mute." His playful eyes only heightened Zuko's irritation. "Shouldn't be more than three hours. We have to take it steady once we're in the shallows." He stepped over to us then, and I was amused to see Kahru was an inch taller than Zuko. "You'll be back home soon."

"That's all I want," Zuko said truthfully, his head bending down as the thought of home filled him with burden.

Kahru looked at my scar then, something he did frequently over the last few days. "Still not gonna tell me how you got your scar?"