Chapter 64: Courage or insanity

Crystal POV

"Try again," Katara said. "Remember not to break concentration."

I stepped back getting into my stance. Lifting my hands, I worked on forming a ball of ice in front of me. As I slowed the molecules, I focused on each one shaping into a frozen element. The ball started to form, and then I molded it into the figure of a lemur head as I continued to hold it in the air. Katara nodded in approval when she saw I was finally successful. Dropping the lemur head ice figurine back to the grass, I watched as it rolled a bit. Hawky hopped over and gave it a peck.

"You did it, Crystal! See! I told you it is all about confidence. You believing in yourself is all it takes to become a master."

I smiled over at her. "Having a good teacher is also a benefit." I then looked over at the ice. "But so is finally getting some sleep."

"I'm just glad you're back at it again," Katara spoke softly. "I was worried you wouldn't ask me to continue your training after everything you've been through."

Katara was right to be concerned about that: After Hama and learning I could bloodbend, I was hesitant to really resume any training on my waterbending. But after waking from my much needed sleep by the stream, and talking to my sister some more, I felt reassured. When she told me that she too could bloodbend without the full moon, I felt a bit more comfortable with continuing to practice my element. If Katara wasn't worried about her bloodbending ability, I decided I shouldn't be either.

Katara also persuaded me to continue my training by agreeing to teach me more about healing. She told me that she had learned a little bit from one of the healers up at the North Pole and was happy to go over some things with me.

After collecting myself from my nap, I let her know I was ready to train again. She was thrilled to hear and started right away. Katara not only taught me the basics of healing, but she also taught me some new waterbending moves. It was nice to have the distraction. I was also relieved that the pain and weakness of my body from my recent trauma had greatly faded in the last few days. For the first time in days, I felt more like myself.

As I went to try the move Katara taught me again, I was stopped by a sudden rush of air.

"Hey! There you two are!" Aang exclaimed. "We were starting to worry!"

He dropped between us, shutting his glider. Momo landed beside him, and then stepped over to the lemur head ice figurine pawing at it. It moved from his touch, and Momo hissed. Hawky squawked as well and the two flew off together.

"Well... not Momo I guess," Aang muttered. He walked over to the ice and picked it up in his hands. He held it in front of his face so it looked like he was wearing an icy lemur mask. "You both should head back. It's getting close to dinner."

I was shocked. "It's really that late already?! How long was I asleep?"

Katara placed a hand on my shoulder. "Not long enough. I want you to sleep tonight too. If you start to have nightmares just remember what I told you: You are safe."

I met her watery blue eyes and smiled. "Thank you, Katara... I'm so lucky to have a little sister like you. Sometimes I forget I'm the older one. You are so mature for your age. And overprotective."

She hugged me. "Don't feel that way. You are always protecting me. Never think for a second I don't see you as my older sister."

Aang sniffled. "Aw! I love you guys and your sisterhood!" He dropped the lemur head and suddenly grabbed us both in a hug. We laughed, welcoming him into our embrace.