Chapter 25: Barren Wasteland

My eyes stared at the river before me with agony. Zuko was still asleep by the campfire beyond the hill behind me, and I knew he wouldn't be thrilled when he woke up. Holding the handle of the engraved steel knife, I gripped it ready to do the one thing I never thought I'd do in my life. Grabbing my braid, I held it firm as I moved the sharp edge of the blade towards the cluster of hair near my shoulder.

I'd betrayed my people. I'd betrayed Kona and my cousin. I was a traitor to the Water Tribe. As much as I loved Zuko, I couldn't help but feel awful for turning my back on my people. I turned my back on my family. What would mother say? I knew she'd be happy I was following my heart, but had I gone too far?

My thoughts took me back to a few months before her death. I was sitting with her and Katara as we took a break from cleaning up breakfast.

My little sister pouted beside me as she poked at the snow by her feet. "Why do we have to do all the cooking?"

My mother was a beautiful woman, with amazing patience and kindness. She answered calmly, "The men have to hunt for our food and protect us. They don't have time to do the things we do. Without us, men would probably starve." She winked, and I giggled. "Besides, don't you enjoy cooking Katara? You told me yesterday it was one of your favorite chores."

She pouted more. "It was my favorite chore yesterday. Today it's my least favorite. I want to go catch the food! Not cook it!"

My mother gave a little laugh, and then brushed her hand over Katara's hair. "You're so silly my little waterbender."

"I'm bored, too," Katara whined more. "I want to waterbend!"

"Alright... Why don't you go run along and practice then sweetie? I think I can handle the rest of the morning chores. Just be back when the sun is at the center of the sky."

Katara lit up and kissed mom on the cheek. "Thanks mommy!" Then she waved to me and raced off towards the water outside of the village. She had been wanting to waterbend all day, and mom gave her the chance at last.

"That girl..." Mom shook her head in disbelief. "Your sister is very enthusiastic somedays, and then other days I have to bribe her. What am I going to do with her?"

I smiled. "That's just Katara. She'll come around one day. I think she's more focused on becoming a waterbending master than anything else."

She sighed. "I know... I'm worried about her though. Your father found her a few trainers who could teach her the basics, but when she gets older she'll want to learn more advanced fighting skills. I fear she may decide to journey to the North Pole if she isn't given the proper teaching here."

The thought of Katara leaving the South Pole made me sad. "She wouldn't really leave us... would she? She's our family... We're supposed to stick together."

My mom placed the shirt she was mending down beside her, and then stood to make her way over to me. She sat down beside me on the log I'd perched on and pulled me into her arms. "Don't worry my treasure... Nothing will tear this family apart. Even if Katara does go up north, we will still always be family."

"You won't let her though..." I felt my heart clench. "You won't let her leave us, right?"

She sighed. "Sweetie... One day we all must follow our own paths... Our hearts may lead us in a direction no one expects." She inched her head forward so her forehead met my own. "You may even find yourself journeying away from home in the future. The most important thing you need to remember is to always follow your heart, Crystal. Others may not accept the path you choose, but as long as you're happy that's all that matters to me." She pulled away and stared out at a group of male teenagers chatting not too far away. "One day when your older, you may have to choose a path that changes your life forever. When that time comes, I want you to listen to your heart and not others around you. Do what will make you happy, dear. Don't ever let anyone tell you what to do."