Chapter 67: Sunrise

Chapter 67: Sunrise

The waves sounded in the distance. The sun was rising and the sky was starting to turn to day. Brushing a hand through my disheveled hair, I watched the waves as Zuko put his shirt and shoes back on. We had fallen asleep late last night, deciding we were too happy to cut our time together short. I knew there would be consequences for that, but I didn't know when we would have the time to be alone again in the coming days.

I had wanted to treasure my moment with my husband for as long as I could. And I knew he didn't mind the extended stay himself.

Every part of me felt complete. My heart. My soul. My body. The nightmares of my past seemed to vanish the longer I remained with Zuko through the night.

My scars no longer mattered...

Zuko had accepted me and told me I was the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen. He loved me, and I loved him.

I would cherish the memory of our first night as husband and wife forever.

"We need to head back," Zuko spoke softly, standing beside me as he stared out at the waves. "They will definitely question us for our disappearance..." He smiled down at me. "I'm sure they are freaking out already."

I sighed. "They'll be fine. It's not the first time I've disappeared in the night."

My husband laughed.

My husband... my one and only... I looked up at him, and could see him from the light of the rising sun. He was perfect in every way.

My husband... my true love... my protector...

He held his hand out to me, and I took it, wanting to feel his touch again. As he helped me up to my feet, I threw my arms around his waist and pressed my body against him again. He hugged me close, pressing his face into my hair.

"I love you so much, Crystal," he whispered.

"I love you too," I said again, for what felt like the hundredth time in the last twelve hours.

"Do you know what you'll tell your family if they ask where we were last night?"

I pulled away from him, but only so I could take his hands in my own. "Actually... I thought a lot this morning about that." I squeezed his hands. "I don't want to keep secrets from my family, and I don't want to keep you a secret. I also want to be able to sleep beside you in the days to come for as long as I can... we don't know the future..." I let out a heavy breath. "I'm going to tell them... we won't be able to hide it forever... I want them to meet my husband."

He was relieved to hear this. "So... I should get ready to dodge your sister's water whip and your brother's sword when we get back?"

I laughed. "Maybe. But more so, be prepared for Toph and her inappropriate comments. Clearly that child has a mind years above her age."

Zuko smirked. "Hey... We got married first. We did nothing wrong."

I smiled. "Yeah... Last night was perfect..."

He leaned forward and brushed my cheek with the back of his hand. "The best night of my life," he promised. "You're beautiful Crystal. I'm a lucky man." He pressed his lips to my own again, and my heart fluttered as memories of the night came rushing back. My hand moved to his hair, the soft black strands so warm to the touch. He pulled away, his face amused. "I really think we should head back before we get too distracted."

I breathed in disappointment. "I suppose. They'll start searching the island for us soon."

"Are you telling them as soon as we get back?"