Chapter 15: Heal Me

Chapter 15: Heal Me

Almost two weeks had passed since the whole Shirshu incident, and we were just reaching the northern edge of the Earth Kingdom. I felt myself tremble as I stood on deck. The farther north we grew, the colder it felt. The temperature made me slightly homesick, but at the same time the warmer air in the Earth Kingdom had been pretty nice.

While I stood on deck, I stared down at my arm which was still wrapped in some tight bandages. It had healed pretty well over the last two weeks, but Iroh encouraged me to keep it mended for a little while longer. There was still a break inside it, and he didn't want me to cause any further damage. Even though I couldn't use my right arm, I was able to bend with my left. Iroh let me practice my waterbending up on deck during days when Zuko was busy in meditation. It was always nice to be able to bend my element again.

As I stood by the rail, I heard footsteps approach me. Then a moment later a body came and stood beside me. "I was wondering where you ran off to," Zuko began. "Aren't you cold?"

I smiled. Turning to him, I answered, "I grew up in the South Pole my whole life. The cold doesn't bother me." I grimaced. "Although, I have to say warmer weather is pretty nice."

He nodded. His hands grabbed onto the railing as he leaned forward a bit. His eyes stayed on the horizon before us. "I wonder if the North Pole is like your home... I've never been there before..."

Frowning, I felt my heart turn slightly bitter towards my sister tribe. "I doubt it. The Northern Water Tribe is a powerful civilization. From what my father has told us, they are well off and have no need to fear the Fire Nation. Their forces are strong, and so are their walls."

Zuko sighed. "Well, I'm not planning on starting a war against them. My only plan is to sneak into their borders, snatch the Avatar , and make my way back to the ship. Last thing I want is a fleet of waterbenders flinging icicles at me."

"Yeah... You know us waterbenders can be vicious," I joked. He smiled at my comment, his amber orbs shooting towards me.

"I definitely do after battling you and your sister so many times."

At the mention of Katara, I grimaced and hung my head again. It had been so long since I'd seen my brother and sister. It felt like so many months had passed since we'd last spoken. If I ever saw them again, I wasn't sure how they would react. Would they forgive me for never telling them about my abilities? Would they accept me for falling in love with the Fire Prince? Would they hate me for not trying harder to escape?

We used to be so close when we were younger, but being away from them made me feel like we were worlds apart.

"You miss them a lot, don't you?"

Nodding, I smiled weakly staring at the water below. "We're family. No matter what, I'll always be worried and miss them. It's just my nature." I looked over at him with curiosity. "Do you miss your dad and sister?"

My question took him off guard. For a moment he didn't answer and I wondered if I'd gone too far. However, he finally let out a hard breath. "Hard to say... I know I miss home, but I can't say for certain I miss dad and Azula. After three years at sea, I honestly haven't missed being Azula's punching bag."

I nodded in understanding. Contemplating what he said, I knew asking my next question could earn some tension but I was prepared. "Then can I ask you again... why do you want to go home so bad?"

Zuko answered calmly and easily. "If you were banished from your home at the South Pole, wouldn't you want to return?"

His question stumped me. I knew he was right. The Fire Nation had been the only place Zuko knew for thirteen years of his life. Being forced away and into a world he didn't know, it was no wonder he wanted to go home so terribly. He was right... I would want to go back home too.