Chapter 56: Dark Craters: Part 2

(Third Person POV)

Toph smirked with satisfaction as she stared at the man she had sunk into the dirt. His head was the only thing above, and he struggled in a panic. "Out of explosives, eh bud?" He growled at her in response, his sound echoing from the helmet that covered his whole head.

Seeing her opponent was restrained, she turned to help the others. However, an explosion sounded from nearby followed by the feeling of metal smashing against the earth. Her heart skipped a beat as she realized what was happening. She recalled what Crystal had told her about the man Sokka named Sparky Sparky Boom Man. He had a metal boot. The sensation beneath her feet was that of a metal boot on the earth. Near that vibration was the familiar feel of Crystal's feet. Another explosion sounded a moment later, and Crystal's feet left the earth, followed by her body sliding against the ground.

"No!" Toph turned and raced across the battlefield realizing what was occurring. It was a set up. The Rough Rhino men were a decoy. Toph quickened her pace as she rushed through the battlefield dodging Katara's water whip that was headed towards a man with chains, running behind Sokka who was getting the upper hand of a man with a spear, smashing stone into the man who was firing missiles at Aang, and shouting to Zuko as she raced by, "He's here!"

Zuko, who was blocking another flame, was stunned by Toph's statement. His eyes followed Toph as she took off into a dark haze of smoke that appeared from the explosion that had just occurred. She jumped through the smog, disappearing beyond the abyss. Another flame shot towards Zuko as he realized what was happening. He didn't see Crystal, and the realization made him fill with dread. The familiar explosions, and the panic from Toph was all he needed to understand what was happening. He turned back to Mongke with rage. Blocking the man's oncoming volley of flames, he snapped as the smoke dissipated, "You're working with the Assassin!"

Colonel Mongke smirked. "Only for the moment. We owed him... And I don't like being indebted to others, if you know what I mean?"

Zuko growled. "You'll regret it!" He jumped up in the air with fury and shot a harsh flame at the firebender before him. His rage and determination was enough to overpower Mongke's own flame and send him flying back into the crater's wall hard. As Mongke slumped to the ground disoriented, Zuko took off in the direction Toph had gone. Breaking through the smoke, he was horrified to find Toph fighting off a guy with a giant mace with her boulders, while Crystal was dodging blasts from a large giant man with three eyes and a metal boot.

Zuko had heard rumors of the infamous Three-Eyed assassin, but seeing the giant man in person was enough to stop him in his tracks. He watched as the man breathed in through his nose, and then he bent his head down shooting a blast through the tattoo on his forehead. Zuko was horrified as the blast coursed towards Crystal. She darted to the side as the fire hit the spot she'd been standing, and the power behind it caused the earth to shake and rocks to fly. Zuko snapped out of his observation, and then rushed over to help. "Get away from her!"

His shout alerted the Assassin who turned his way and fired a blast at him. As the stream of fire came his way, Zuko jumped up dodging the attack and flew towards the giant. The fire hit where he had once stood, exploding behind him, and the force pushed Zuko forward more. Zuko shot his own fire down at the assassin as he moved towards him. The man was forced to stop his attack in order to throw his arms up and block the blast from the infuriated Fire Nation Prince. Zuko's powerful stream hit the man's arms and caused him to slide back against the dirt. As Zuko landed, he shot more fire at the man who was disgruntled from Zuko's last attack. The assassin threw his arms up again blocking the attack once more.

Water shot at the enemy abruptly as Crystal attacked as well. She'd managed to draw more water from a bush growing out of the crevice of the crater. She hated having to kill the plant, but she knew she needed to fight. As her water soared towards the assassin, the man didn't have time to block having just deflected Zuko's attack. Her water hit the man hard sending him off his feet and onto his side. As he was down, Zuko rushed forward again and shot more fire at the man on the ground. The Assassin rolled out of the way managing to evade the attack, but his metal boot made it difficult for him to get back to his feet. As he attempted to do so, Zuko shot more fire and this time it hit the man on the side knocking him over with a grunt.