A Predicament

This story is for @mo_onbyul2da! I hope you enjoy it! (If you all want more Jinbyul content you should definitely check out their page 😁)

It's a take on the classic teacher-student relationship, but Byul is a research professor and Jin is one of her graduate students so a little bit different. 

~~~~~

Jin awoke with a start when someone threw down a stack of papers on the desk he was sleeping on. He sat up quickly, trying to rub the sleep from his eyes. He had been working late nights ever since he started working on his graduate degree and the professor leading his research was known for her intensity.

"Sleeping again?" He looked up to see Moon Gyosu smiling down at him. He jumped up, mortified that he had been caught sleeping by his senior. Though she was intense and insanely smart she was also funny and very forgiving he had found. And kind and sweet and many other things as well. He found he enjoyed her presence, maybe more than a student should with their professor. But he was an adult and she was the same age as him, so he tried not to think about it too much.

"Gyosu, I was moving our data into a compiled worksheet and I just -"

"Got so bored you fell asleep?" She asked laughing. He nodded, bowing to her. "It's okay I've done it many times before."

"Jwesonghamnida Gyosu."

"Ah Seokjin-ssi, I've told you, you don't have to call me so formally. We are the same age after all." She flashed a smile at him and he felt his heart flip in his chest. Damn his heart, couldn't it behave itself for once?

"Jwesongheyo Gyosu." He said, bowing again. She laughed out loud, throwing her head back in that carefree way of hers. It was one of the things he loved most about her. He shoved that line of thinking to the back of his mind, knowing it would lead nowhere good. She smiled, pushing her glasses up on her nose, and gestured to the papers.

"Come, I want to show you what I've found while you were preoccupied." He nodded, feeling himself blush to the very tips of his ears. He took his glasses off, cleaning the lenses as they had started to fog up from all of his blushing. Sitting at the table he opened one of the files she had brought.

"We've just gotten the results from our study at Seoul National University. One of our advisors sent the data to me last night. It looks really promising. It seems that support for the current administration is significantly influenced by what sort of media a person consumes. I mean look at these numbers." She was leaning in, her head inches from his as she gestured to the data excitedly. He could barely focus on the pages in front of him as her scent filled his senses. It was the smell of old books and fresh linen. He closes his eyes momentarily, lost in her smell.

"Seokjin-ssi?" He jerked up, his eyes snapping open. "Are you feeling alright? You're very red." She held up a hand to his forehead, her hand cool to the touch. "Oh, you're very warm. Perhaps you should take a break?" Her chocolate brown eyes peered into his, her eyebrows quirked in concern. He stood up, trying to put as much space between them as physically possible.

"I think perhaps I should. I'll see you tonight Gyosu." He bowed quickly, practically running from the room. He stumbled towards his dorm room, hoping that his face had stopped flaming.

It was getting worse. He could barely be in the same room with her without basically falling to pieces. Every word she said, every movement she made tugged at the strings of his heart, making him feel like a puppet being pulled along, with no control over his actions. She was undoing him. He stopped to take a breath, leaning against a wall, running a hand through his hair. He had never met someone who had this effect on him. In fact, he was usually the one with this effect on others. He did not like the way the tables had turned.