Before

It started on the train.

I said goodbye to my mom, and got on the Hogwarts express. A scared little first year. My mother told me about a few families that were good to associate with.

I say next to a boy that had platinum blonde hair. He was very pale. His eyes were a brilliant blue when he smiled, but were a cloudy gray most of the time. He was shorter than me, which I was immediately happy about. The taller you are, the more power you have.

I looked at him and he smiled at me nervously. All the first years were full of jitters. A few other students filled the car.

"What's your name? the boy asked.

"Addilyn Hale. And yours?"

"Draco Malfoy."

We attempted awkward small talk until the sweets cart came around. Immediately after we started arguing.

"Addilyn, what do you MEAN cherry is the best flavor? It is obviously cinnamon!"

"Only someone with a few screws loose would think that! Cherry is so much better! Cinnamon isn't even sweet!"

"Just because it isn't sweet, doesn't mean it is worse!"

Eventually, he walked off with two other first years. I didn't know their names at the time.

After we got off the train, I walked with Draco, and we were still arguing.

"Cinnamon is the most revolting flavor aside from vomit. Even earwax is better!"

"Oh yeah? Give me one reason!"

Professor McGonagal quieted all the talking and explained the sorting. I chose to go walk away from Draco.

I walked up to a boy with messy brown hair, and boy with red hair and freckles, and a girl with bushy hair. They introduced themselves as Harry, Ron, and Hermione. We talked excitedly until the sorting ceremony began.

Hermione, Ron, and Harry were all Gryffindors. Draco was a Slytherin.

I walked up to the hat when my name called.

Mother was a Slytherin. I didn't know what father was. Mother has never talked about him much.

The hat was placed on my head.

"Hmmm. Bravery. Loyalty. Intelligence. Ambition. You seem to possess attributes from every house. You would do well in any." The hat stayed quiet, he appeared to be thinking it over. "You might not understand right now, but this house will benefit you most later."

"SLYTHERIN."

There were cheers from the Slytherin table, and glares from the Gryffindor table. Although, Hermione, Ron, and Harry didn't glare at me.

...........................................................................

After that, I continued to be friends with Ron, Harry, and Hermione.

Draco and I were never friends from the moment he opened his mouth on September 1.

...........................................................................

Third year is when one thing changed.

He deserved what he got when that hippogriff cut him. He deserved much worse.

The odd thing was, I realized that day, that I was worried. Worried he wouldn't be ok.

I got over it because after Madam Pomfrey, he was obviously faking it.

That day, I realized I might actually care if he died though. Still not much.

...........................................................................

Now, we are in fourth year.