Chapter 1

Just a warning that there are some depictions of blood and violence in this story. I don't think it's anything too severe, but just be careful if you're sensitive to that kind of thing! I hope you enjoy :)

May 15, 2020

The whole house was dark. Namjoon sat alone in the living room, perfectly still as he waited for his boyfriend to come home. He'd been sitting there for over an hour now but he wasn't going to budge until Taehyung came home. He didn't care how long it took.

He wasn't sure how much more time passed before the front door finally opened and Taehyung quietly stepped inside. Quietly, as if we were trying to sneak in. As if Namjoon wouldn't have waited there for days on end. His rage had been growing with every minute he'd spent waiting, yet seeing the boy's perfect, innocent face calmed him down ever-so-slightly. 

He still wasn't very happy. "Where were you?" he demanded, not caring to hide his irritation.

Taehyung jumped when he heard Namjoon's voice, clearly not expecting the man to be there. He started taking off his shoes. "I already told you. I was with a friend." He said it as if it was no big deal yet even in the dark, Namjoon spotted the way his hands shook.

Namjoon ignored his aching muscles as he stood up and approached Taehyung in the entryway. Taehyung stopped what he was doing and stood up straight. There wasn't even an inch of difference between them, yet Taehyung seemed so small. Namjoon checked his watch. "For two hours?"

Taehyung looked up at him, his light brown eyes barely visible in the dimness. He was wearing Namjoon's favourite contacts. Namjoon always thought that they contrasted so beautifully with his wavy black hair. He looked so angelic, it was hard for Namjoon to stay angry with him. 

"Yes, I think two hours is a perfectly reasonable amount of time to spend at a coffee shop with your friend," Taehyung said, a hint of defiance in his tone and gaze. Namjoon didn't like it. Taehyung wasn't supposed to talk back to him. Taehyung wasn't supposed to be out for more than an hour without telling him. 

Yes, Namjoon thought that his boyfriend needed to be taught a lesson. He grabbed the boy by the collar of his shirt, slamming him against the wall. The boy winced in pain but didn't make a sound. "Talk to me with respect," Namjoon warned. He expected an apology; Taehyung knew that he was always supposed to beg for forgiveness after doing something wrong. 

But instead, Taehyung closed his eyes, breathing deeply before opening them again. "Like you do with me?" His voice was deeper; his natural tone, not the lighter one that Namjoon preferred. 

Utter shock. That's what Namjoon felt. Taehyung never spoke to him like this. Never in the two years they'd been together. 

He must have subconsciously loosened his grip on the boy's clothing because the next thing he knew, Taehyung was pushing him away. Namjoon stumbled back, still looking at Taehyung in confusion. 

"That's what I thought," Taehyung said. "I'm done with you, Namjoon." The minute he started toward the door, Namjoon regained his senses and gripped the boy's wrist. "Wait! I'm sorry, I didn't mean-"

"No," Taehyung cut him off. "Really, I'm done. I'm tired of living like this, doing everything I can to please you even though I'm scared of you. I deserve to live my own life. I mean, look at you. You can't even stand me being out with a friend." He yanked his arm away and again headed to the door, this time succeeding in making it out.

Namjoon ran after him. This couldn't be happening, Taehyung couldn't be leaving him for real. "If you leave me, I'll kill myself!" he yelled desperately. 

"I don't care," Taehyung said, not even turning back to face him. Namjoon could hear it in his voice, he really was done. He got into his car, and all Namjoon could do was stand in the doorway and watch him drive away. Namjoon should never have let him keep that damned car.