ONE

1x01

1x01

TODAY WAS THE first day of Rosalia Hernández's internship and due to her oversleeping, she was late but made it in time to hear the Chief of Surgery Richard Webber's grand speech to the new interns "Each of you comes here today hopeful, wanting in on the game. A month ago you were in med school, being taught by doctors. Today...you are the doctors. The 7 years you spend here as a surgical resident will be the best and worst of your life. You will be pushed to the breaking point. Look around you. Say hello to your competition. Eight of you will switch to an easier specialty. Five of you will crack under the pressure. Two of you will be asked to leave. This is your starting line. This is your arena. How well you play...That's up to you."

All the interns were sent to the locker room where residents are calling out intern's names. Rosalia was sitting on a bench when a blonde whose name Rosalia thinks her name is Meredith says "Only 6 women out of 20" and an Asian woman replies "Yeah. I hear one of them's a model. Seriously, that's gonna help with the respect thing?"  "Wait seriously," Rosalia says and the woman whose name she remembers is Cristina says "Yeah, you're Rosalia right. " I shake my head yes "But I prefer to go by Rose" I answer "I'm Meredith," the blonde woman says. I smile at her.

"Which resident are you assigned to? I got Bailey. " Cristina says " "Same,"  "The Nazi? Me too." Meredith says then a short-haired boy awkwardly says "You got the Nazi? So did I. At least we'll be tortured together, right? I'm George O'Malley. Uh, we met at the mixer." I look at him curiously he stared at Meredith with wide eyes and says " You had on a black dress with a slit up the side, strappy sandals, and...now you think I'm gay." I grin

He then says"No, I'm not gay. It's.....It's just that you were......you were very unforgettable. "

The resident says "O'Malley, Yang, Grey, Hernández, Stevens."

Cristina and Meredith leave and I put an arm around his shoulders and say "Don't worry Georgie I don't think your gay" and he smiles at the nickname and Rosalia say "Let's go we don't want to make the Nazi angry on our first day" he chuckles. then they follow Cristina and Meredith.

The group was surprised when they saw that "The Nazi" was a short black woman then again my mom told me to never judge a book by the cover. I tilt my head to the side "That's the Nazi?" Rosalia mumbles George says "I thought the Nazi would be a guy." Meredith says "I thought the Nazi would be...a Nazi". Out of nowhere, a perky blonde says " Maybe it's professional jealousy. Maybe she's brilliant, and they call her the Nazi because they're jealous." I roll my eyes at how enthusiastic she is "Maybe she's nice." The blonde who I think is the model says Cristina thinking the same thing as Rosalia says "Let me guess...you're the model."

The enthusiastic blonde says "Hi, I'm Isobel Stevens, but everyone calls me 'Izzie."

But the woman just stared at her hand and said "I have five rules. Memorize them. Rule number one -- don't bother sucking up. I already hate you." I smirked liking her attitude. "That's not gonna change. Trauma protocol, phone list, pagers -- nurses will page you. You will answer every page at a run --a run that's rule number two." The interns ran trying to catch up with her. "You run labs, write orders, work every second night until you drop, and don't complain" we walk into an on-call room "On-call rooms -- attending hog them. Sleep when you can, where you can, which brings me to rule number three. If I'm sleeping don't wake me, unless your patient is actually dying. Rule number four the dying patient better not be dead when I get there. Not only will you have killed someone, you would have woke me for no good reason. We clear?" Everyone nodded then Meredith raised her hand "Yes".