Chapter 3 - The Nightmare

Lilypaw sat in his den, thinking about the nightmare he had at the moonpool. He looked over to his sick mentor, she was asleep. He had a strange feeling that something bad was about to happen, but he didn't know what. He really needed to refresh the catmint stock in his den, so he left camp to go find some.
"I wish Bluebranch had actually offered some catmint in real life instead of the dream." He said sadly, looking around a damp tree.
'what am I doing? Catmint grows near twolegs!' He remembered his training. He bounded toward the twoleg barn. He creeped into the barn, the scent of mice and warmth flooded his senses. As he got further into the den, he started to smell a milk scent. He looked for the source and saw a grey loner and her kits. The loner was awake and staring at Lilypaw, she didn't look alarmed, but moreso curious
"You need something, traveller?" The queen asked quietly, looking at Lilypaw.
"I'm looking for um- a herb, for my Clan" Lilypaw stated, his tail twitching.
"Clan? You're a Clan cat?" Her mew was quiet and weak, Lilypaw wondered if she was somehow starving in this mouse filled barn.
"Yes, I'm one of the two medicine cats of ChervilClan."
"medicine cat?"
"Yes. We medicine cats are the healers and spiritual guides of our clans, we communicate with StarClan and make sure our Clan is healthy and happy"
"that's nice and all, but you should prolly go find that herb you was looking for" The queen mewed, amused. Lilypaw smiled and nodded. He walked around to the outside of the barn. But he couldn't see any of the rare herb. He saw the sun rising and went back to his Clan, when he returned, he walked into his den. He saw Snakestorm awake and sorting through poppyseeds and marigold. She greeted Lilypaw, and Lilypaw asked why she was up so early, but Snakestorm just laughed. 
Lilypaw thought again about the nightmare, could it be a warning about Heronpath? Could it just be nonsense? He laid down in his nest and fell asleep.
 He woke up at the sound of Sagestar calling everyone. He walked into the clearing and saw Thrushwind's sole surviving kit Leopardkit, sitting in the clearing. 

'it must be her apprentice ceremony today' he thought, yawning.
Leopardkit sat in the dirt, her short fur pricked with excitement.
"Leopardkit, you have reached your sixth moon, and are ready to serve your clan as an apprentice. Do you, Leopardkit agree to uphold the warrior code and serve your clan until your dying breath?"
"I do!"
"Then from now until you earn your warrior name, you will be known as Leopardpaw!" 
Thrushwind was the first to call out "Leopardpaw! Leopardpaw!" 
"You shall be mentored by Beetleberry, she was taught the warrior code by Harestep, and I trust she will pass those skills down to you. Clan dismissed"
Leopardpaw bounded to Thrushwind excitedly, and nuzzled into her mother's pelt. Lilypaw remembered his mother Flowerfur and his father Beechstar. Rumour has it that Beechstar ran away to become a kittypet, but all the clan knows is that he gave up his last few lives and disappeared. All Lilypaw remembers is Sagestar and Flowerfur talking about it while Lilypaw and his littermates were in the Medicine den with them, sick with greencough. Lilypaw looked at Cherrywater's kits, Mothkit, Blizzardkit and Kestrelkit. Blizzardkit had been showing signs of being able to speak to StarClan, but he wanted to become a warrior with his littermates. Lilypaw knew he couldn't make the pale tom become a Medicine cat if that wasn't what he wanted. But he did know that it would help to ask Blizzardkit about the visions he recieved.