seven

★ ★ ★

★ ★ ★

After the meeting with Fury, the trio's mood was down. Steve and Diana sat for a few minutes after Fury was done rambling.

"He was a good man," Diana let out after all the silence. "Coulson. I didn't know him well but he was so sweet and kind-hearted. So welcoming as well...  We could've stopped Loki from doing it." In some way she felt guilty about his death. He was a dear friend of Diana's back in 90's.

"No, no Diana. Don't blame yourself. We had other things in hand to do. It's not your fault." Steve replied.

"Yes, I know that. But I just wish I could've. Wish there was a way to turn back time somehow." She pursed her lips.

"Yeah, I do too..." Steve agreed as he thought about all that time he missed with Diana when he was frozen in ice and she was all alone.

Steve looked down at her. She gazed up at him and gave him a sad smile, like she knew what he was thinking about. He gently grabbed her chin and pulled her face to his, pressing their lips softly together. When they pulled apart they looked at each other for a moment. Then grinned and giggled.

"Hmm, let's go find Tony." 

★ ★ ★

They walked into the chamber where Loki was in his glass cage, which was missing. Both of Diana's hands were linked with Steve's closest hand, feeling the comfort of their touch. They saw Tony across the room looking down. 

The couple leaned against the railing and Diana rested her chin on his muscular bicep, before speaking.

"Was he married?"

"No. There was a cellist, I think." Tony answered, still looking down.

"I'm sorry. He seemed a good man." Steve said.

"He was an idiot." Tony spoke, surprising both Steve and Diana.

"Why? For believing?"

"For taking on Loki alone." Tony looked up at the couple and walked towards them.

"I mean, he was doing his job. What he thought was right. We all don't know what Loki is capable of so-" Diana remarked but was interrupted.

"Really? I thought they would do their research out here... He was out of his league. He should have waited. He should have..." Stark scoffed.

"Sometimes there isn't a way out, Tony." Steve and Diana began to walk together.

"Right, I've heard that before."

"Is this the first time you've lost a soldier?" Steve questioned as they both watched the billionaire walk straight passed them.

"We are not soldiers." Tony snapped. "I'm not marching to Fury's life."

"Neither are we. He's got the same blood on his hands that Loki does. But right now, we got to put that behind us and get this done." Steve said sternly. Diana noticed his eyes drifting to the side. She followed them to see he was looking at where Coulson's blood stain was left. "Loki needs a power source. If we can put together a list-"

"He made it personal." He interrupted.

"That's not the point."

"That is the point. That's Loki's point. He hit us all right where we live. Why?"

 "To tear us apart." Diana answered.

"Yeah, divide and conquer is great, but he knows he has to take us to win, right?"

"That's what he wants." Diana and Tony said together. They looked at each other and gave a warming smile.

"He wants to beat us, he wants to be seen doing it. He wants an audience." He continued on. 

"Right. I caught his act in Stuttgart." Steve said as Tony began to walk passed them again.

"Yeah, that's just previews. This is opening night. And Loki, he's a full-tilt diva, right? He wants flowers, he wants parades. He wants a monument built to the skies with his name plastered..." Stark was having a light bulb go off in his head.

"Son of a bitch." Tony finished.

"Language!" The two oldies said.

★ ★ ★

"Time to go." Steve and Diana stood tall in the doorway of the infirmary.

"Go where?" Natasha asked.

"I'll tell you on the way. Can you fly one of those jets?

All of a sudden a door opened revealing Clint Barton. 

"I can." The Hawkeye replied. Diana grinned widely and rushed to him.

"Awe. It's good to see you back. I've missed you." She gave him a warm, tight hug which took him by surprise.

"Ahh, squeezing a little too tight, Princess." He choked.

"Ooo, I'm sorry. How did you get out of Loki's scary trans." She pulled away.

"Oh I knocked him out. Pretty satisfying if you ask me." Natasha and Diana laughed.

"Of course you would find it funny, asshole." Barton mocked.

"Well, welcome back. Better get suit up, we've got someone to stop." The warrior smirked and ran back to Steve.

The team got all their gear, ready for what was to come.

Cap put on his blue helmet and got his iconic shield. While Diana picked up her lasso, sword, and her shield as well. She finished it off by carefully placing her tiara on her head.

The two joined the Natasha and Barton, as they walked side by side to the quinjet.

"Hey, you guys aren't authorized to be in here." A small worker said as he seemed a bit frightened by the four of them.

"Son, just don't." Steve stated as the boy scurried passed them.

★ ★ ★

Author's Note:

Another chapter? I'm just really bored. Anyways enjoy this!

December 13, 2020