Chapter 14The First Rounds of the Final Battle

After lunch, we head back onto the field and are told that we will draw lots to determine the brackets for the first part of the final round. As Midnight starts to pass out the lots, a classmate of mine stops her.

"Excuse me, sorry, but I'm withdrawing," he announces, receiving many gasps. "It just wouldn't be right, I barely remember anything from the cavalry battle until the end. I think it was that guy's quirk. I know this is a great opportunity, I wish I could take advantage of it, but my conscience won't let me."

"Just think about this," Deku says, trying to get him to change his mind.

"I have. Everyone gave their all in the second round while I was just somebody's puppet. No way, I don't want to advance if I don't even know how I got here. It wouldn't be fair," he continued.

I look over but don't hear much. From what I do make out, another student is pulling out for the same reason. Midnight allows it and brings up two students from a lower team to take their place. Once that is resolved, the brackets of this tournament-style final round are revealed. I am up against one of the two people who were brought up from a lower team first.

We wait for the rounds to start and I head off to seclude myself from everyone.

"Y/n, are you alright?" I hear someone ask. I look up to see Momo.

"Yeah, I'm fine...sorta," I respond.

"What's wrong?" she asks with concern.

"I'm just nervous. Not for my fight, but yours. I'm not saying you can't hold your own, I just don't want to see you get hurt," I confess, starting to panic at the thought. Momo picks up on my concern and comforts me about it.

"Don't worry about that, all you need to worry about are your fights. If I get hurt, then that's that. Tokoyami didn't mean it, he's actually a really nice guy," she assures.

"Well for one, thank you. Now I know his name, but it's not just him. I saw what he could do in the cavalry battle. What I'm nervous about mostly is the way the brackets are lined up. If you were to make it to the semi-finals, you would be up against Bakugo. The thought of that genuinely terrifies me."

"You don't need to be nervous, I can do this, believe me. I've got this," she says, now embracing me in a hug.

"I love you Momo, so much. Thank you for helping me with this," I say, receiving silence before her response.

"I love you too. Now, let's head to where we will be during the final round. We can talk more there."

We hang out in the stands, waiting and talking until everyone else starts to show up, indicating that the first matchup is going to start between Deku and someone from general studies.

"Come on Deku, you got this," I mutter to myself while leaning forward in my seat. Present Mic starts to commentate, but I drown him out because my mind is more focused on the fight.

I can't hear anything but I can make out the fact that they are talking until Deku yells, "DON'T YOU TALK ABOUT HIM THAT WAY!" Deku starts before going dead silent and stopping his charge.

"Deku...what are you doing?" I wonder to myself.

Out of nowhere, Deku starts to walk towards the edge of the arena.

"MIDORIYA, WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?" I yell while standing up, having to be calmed down and seated by Momo, Jiro, and Mina.

Deku continues walking until he gets right up to the out of bounds line. He turns on his opponent, and starts walking towards him, before pushing his opponent, taking a hit to the face in the process, and eventually pushing his opponent out of bounds and winning the match.