𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐢𝐢.

ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴏʀᴛʜᴇʀɴ ᴋɪɴɢᴅᴏᴍ, ɴᴏᴜxɪᴛᴏɴ ᴛʏʀsᴇɴ ᴘᴀʟᴀᴄᴇ

ᴛʏʀsᴇɴ ᴘᴀʟᴀᴄᴇ

━━━━━━━━━━━
𝐈𝐱𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐥 𝐗𝐞𝐧𝐚 𝐀𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐚
━━━━━━━━━━━

GLANCING AT ME, Dakota waited for my approval before taking his leave— something I learnt to appreciate about him. I mouthed a 'Go' at him and faced Vera who looked like she was about to break down; a deer in headlights.

Her golden-streaked hair was matted and her low bun was stepping over the line of becoming a ponytail. Clasping her hands together, I watched the waterworks begin as the first wave of fresh tears came flowing down her face. Deja vu from the last time we spoke in private was a sick, sick joke that laughed hysterically in the back of my brain.

"I-I'm sorry..." She stammered, jaw shaking violently like she was standing in the midst of a storm. Another tear fell from her fearful eye. "I'm so so s-sorry. This is all my fault. It s-should have been me."

Under my scrutinizing gaze, she shrank back, no longer a confident princess, but rather a timid and frightened person, a victim of mistreatment from her own parents. And that sent a message to me. No one has ever done anything nice to her, sacrificed themselves for her, not even her parents. She felt unworthy of my kindness.

Don't let the sun go down on your anger.

What was the point of holding grudges against each other? We were both wronged anyway. And as much as I hated to admit this, we were both on the same level now— both rulers of our own kingdoms.

Shameful thoughts adorned her breaths as Vera trembled uncontrollably as though the feeling of impurity and vileness were drowning her sanity, bringing me back to a snapping reality from the thoughts that circled around in my mind.

"Don't blame yourself, Vera." I sighed, my voice steady unlike the emotions inside of me.

"How could I not?" She cried out, her pent up anger towards herself finally showing. "I wrongfully blamed you for putting that poison in my drink. I even tried to get Dakota's hand in marriage behind your back! And yet, y-you..." The back of her hand lifted to wipe her tearful eyes.

"...you saved me."

Silence reigned.

"I don't regret it. In fact, I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat, Vera. I said it before and I'll say it again, we're friends no matter what happens. And friends would do anything for their friends, wouldn't they?" I wanted to rub her shoulder to calm the raging fire in those eyes.