Chapter 6

Mal wasn't going to lie. There was still a part of her that felt nervous about Cotillion. Even if this was going to be different than the viewing showed, this was still going to be a televised event where the entire focus was going to be on her.

That wasn't nerve wracking in the slightest.

Sure she was used to attention; being Maleficent's daughter how could she not be? People had kept an eye on her on the Isle; waiting to see if she showed a weakness they could use to topple Maleficent.

It was a shame for them that it never happened.

"Mal?" Evie said, pulling the purple haired girl from her thoughts. "It's time."

Mal nodded and the two girls got into the limo that was there to take them to Cotillion. They were both silent; both wondering what the night would bring. Mal couldn't help but brush her fingers against the teardrop necklace that Ben had gotten for her. She shouldn't have been surprised; no matter what Ben would find a way to give her a gift.

Her hand dropped from her necklace to brush against her dress. She still couldn't believe Evie had remade her dress—and how stunning it truly was. She knew she shouldn't be surprised, Evie was amazing when it came to her creations.

Mal walked into her dorm, consigned to one last final fitting before Cotillion. At least the dance wouldn't be as awkward as it was in the viewing, since there was no way Uma would escape the Isle. She paused upon entering her room, as the dress on the mannequin had not been the same one that had been there at her last fitting.

"What do you think M?" Evie asked and Mal stared in shock at the stunning design before her.

"Evie! It's amazing! Whe-when did you even have the time-?"

"Don't worry about that Mal," Evie chuckled. "Come on, try it on. I had all your measurements but I want to make sure it feels right. Cinderella was right, if this is too tight on you, you might risk passing out at Cotillion."

"Yeah, I'd rather not have that happen," Mal nodded as she quickly changed into the dress before getting onto the platform.

"How's it feel? Do I need to let it out?" Evie asked as she zipped her up.

"No, E. Honestly...it's perfect," Mal told her. "I still can't believe you managed to do this!"

Evie chuckled. "Well believe it M. Oh I can't wait to see Ben's face when he sees you. Come on, let's do your hair and makeup. I know you had a braid in the viewing but I think a gentle curl on your hair would be better don't you?"

"You're the fashionista E," Mal chuckled. "I know you wouldn't make me look bad."

"E?" Mal said softly, pulling herself from her thoughts as she looked at her best friend. "You know you didn't have to remake my dress right? I was fine with the—"

"M, I was going to remake it after I saw how the final version looked in the viewing," Evie said gently. "It just wasn't the right design, especially after seeing how well the dress from the stained glass window suited you."

Mal chuckled at the reminder of the spoiled surprise awaiting her on the yacht. "Is it wrong that I'm wondering if Ben's going to have any surprises tonight?"

"Knowing your boyfriend? Anything's possible," Evie said with a small smile. "Though I doubt it. Ben's good but not good enough to manage a big surprise in two days. That's more my area of expertise."

Mal shook her head as she smoothed out the bottom part of her dress. "I still can't believe that this only took you two days to make, E. It looks like it took you a month!"