Chapter 19

Weeks passed and there was no news or sign of Uma. Ben had been true to his word and reached out to Eric to arraign for ships to search for her and put her back on the Isle. While Ben personally believed Uma should have the chance to get off the Isle, there was nothing he could do in this regard.

Uma had escaped. There was no if's, and's, or but's about was not her parents' crime but one of her very own.

Ben sighed as he closed his planner and put it in the drawer of his desk. He had cleared his calendar for today as requested by Emir and Akiho. Ben had a feeling he knew what they had planned but he didn't know if they should do it now that things had changed. It just didn't feel right.

"Of course you're still here," Akiho's voice broke through his thoughts and Ben shook his head in amusement as he saw his best friend standing in front of his desk. Checking the clock, Ben couldn't help but blink in surprise when he saw that it was around lunchtime. Akiho and Emir had made plans with him and Mal to have lunch together—as a joint birthday celebration.

Huh, guess I was lost in thought. I didn't even have much paperwork today which is surprising—the days when I don't have a lot of paperwork are the days that drag the longest.

"I take it Emir's getting Mal?" Ben chuckled, pulling himself out of his thoughts. It was one of the few days Mal wasn't scheduled to practice her Fae or Godly powers, something Ben was thankful for. While he knew Mal needed to practice it, the last thing he wanted was for her to wear herself out. Especially with Uma out and about. Not that Ben thought anything might happen but at the same time, after seeing the two of them at the viewing and hearing the story Mal told him when they were on the Isle...

It was probably a good idea if those two stayed away from each other for a while.

"Got it in one," Akiho nodded. "We decided to divide and conquer when it came to you two because we are doing this celebration. Ever since you got back from the Isle, you and Mal have been super tense."

Ben sighed. He hadn't told any of his friends about Uma's escape from the Isle. He didn't want them to worry-plus Ben hadn't even come up with a plan other than search the seas. All he knew was that his council meetings since the escape had been much more productive. Lady Anastasia had been quite helpful in providing an Isle point of view while Anita seemed to help keep everyone more level headed.

A nice contrast compared to Leah, Chi-Fu and Westleton. Ben's ears especially appreciated the change.

"Dude?" Akiho prompted. "You kinda went quiet there for a moment."

"Sorry," Ben sighed. "Just...just thinking about some work."

"Not today you're not," Akiho promised. "The team worked hard on this, so you're going to enjoy yourself. In fact, some of the team's here to make sure you don't spend your day behind the desk."

"When you say 'make sure', what do you mean? Wait, the team?"

"You'll see," Akiho smirked as he ducked his head out into the main room. "Guys!"

Ben shook his head in amusement as William, Brenden and Conner walked in.

"The others are with Emir," William chuckled. "Well except for Chad, Jay, and Carlos. They're setting everything up with Evie, Lonnie and Jane."

"Setting what up?" Ben asked as he got up though he did have a smile on his face at hearing that Lonnie was there. Lonnie had gone off to college on a ROAR scholarship and Ben wasn't going to lie, it was more than a little strange being around Auradon Prep without the girl who was practically his sister. "And if they're setting things up, why isn't Audrey there? You know she's great at that sort of thing."