Chapter 25

A few days after his graduation, Ben found himself once again at his desk working away. He had to say, it was a lot easier to get through his paperwork without juggling classes as well. It was still a lot of paperwork but the stress was certainly alleviated.

"Sire?" Dean's voice came in through the intercom. "Carlos DeVil is asking for a moment of your time. I know you're free but I wasn't sure if you wanted an impromptu meeting. Shall I let him in?"

"Of course!" Ben said and smiled. He always had time for one of his friends, especially if they were trying to go through the official channels rather than just meet up with him in his room or something. Besides it was rare that he got one on one time with Carlos; the younger boy was usually with Jay, Mal, Evie, Jane or Emir and Akiho. Ben had to admit, he was curious to see what Carlos wanted to talk to him about.

"Hey Ben," Carlos said as he walked into the office, Dude trotting dutifully by his side. Ben gave a soft chuckle, he had expected nothing less. It was actually why there was now a small dog bowl of food and water by the side of his desk. In the off chance someone would have Dude with them if they needed to speak to him in his office.

"Hey Carlos," Ben said, giving him a grin as he stood up and bent over to pet Dude behind the ears. "What's up?"

Carlos sighed as Dude made a beeline for the food and water. "Um...I want to propose something for the Isle. If it's possible?"

"Let me hear the idea first and then we can see if it's possible," Ben said as he sat back down. "If for some reason it's not, I'll work with you to make it possible."

Carlos couldn't help but give Ben a small smile as he sat down. "I...I want to set up a safe house. On the Isle. Mal and Jay had set one up when we were kids, and Evie and I used the clubhouse after we were brought into the gang but...I want to set up something that's more Auradon approved."

"When you say safe house...?"

Carlos sighed. "Things...things are different where we're from Ben," he said softly. "Let's just say the idea of a 'loving' parent is rarer than a bit of the sun around those parts."

Ben nodded, wishing he didn't know what Carlos was referring to. But he did. Seeing the glimpses of the children who were still on the Isle when Ben had gone over there with Mal and the others, Ben could tell that there was a lot more that needed to be done.

Not to mention all that he had seen in the two viewings.

"I want to set up a place for boys and girls of the Isle," Carlos said. "Kids who would have to make the choice between sleeping someplace that's not the safest for them and sleeping on the streets of the Isle. It's a lose-lose for them either way. They're either risking their safety staying home or risking their safety by sleeping on the streets and getting jumped if they're not in a gang or crew. Something that is more common for the younger kids than the older ones."

Ben nodded. "I definitely think that's feasible Carlos. I'll talk to the council so we can get funds allocated to it but I think that's something we should go ahead and pull the trigger on now. Is there a location you were thinking of?"

"Um, there's an old abandoned warehouse near the middle of the Isle," Carlos said. "It's in sort of neutral territory too so kids from all the gangs could come and have a place to stay if they want. I just...Ben for some of these kids, the thought of going to Auradon is the only thing they have to hold on to.

Ben sat quietly, not wanting to say anything in case he spooked the other boy. The last thing he wanted to do was make Carlos talk about something he didn't want to but it was rare for them to offer up information about their past. While it was happening more and more, it was still infrequent. Yet Ben knew for the four of them to offer any information was a show of trust on their part.