Chapter 16

Ben smiled as Mal drove along the road to his father's old castle. He had only been once when he was a child and that was only a brief visit while his parents checked on the state of the castle, and he mainly hung out in the kitchen with Mrs. Potts and Chip.

When Mal had heard this, she insisted on the two of them taking a trip to the castle.

"It's part of your history Ben," she had stated. "Besides, the weather is perfect for it."

She hadn't been wrong there. Every day of their vacation had been nothing but blue sky and sunshine. Plus, ever since they put in a paved road to the castle in case Beast or Belle ever needed to return, it was a perfect way to allow Mal to get some practice in driving.

The village roads were great, but were also often crowded. They made Ben nervous and he was an experienced driver. They definitely made Mal frazzled though she hid it well in the car. All Ben knew was after a driving trip through the village, Mal would often disappear into his grandfather's cottage with her sketchbook.

I probably should get her a new one. That one I gave her after the viewing's fairly small and she's been sketching constantly.

A buzzing from his phone drew Ben back to the present and he quickly checked it, in case there was an emergency.

"You get cell service out here?" Mal asked, slightly impressed as they were driving through a fairly wooded area.

"I need to be able to be reached Mal," Ben chuckled. "Plus dad made sure there was a cell tower near ever castle in the kingdom as soon as the technology was available for it."

"Ah that makes sense actually," Mal said and drew quiet once more as she focused on the road ahead of her. The last thing she would want would be for them to get into an accident because she was distracted.

Ben took that moment to check his phone once more, Mal's question having distracted him from fully comprehending what he had seen.

Intel acquired. Your dragon is also a twin.

Ben shook his head—what in the world was Emir talking about?

I assume you're speaking English here though I have no idea what you mean, he quickly sent back. It took two seconds before he had a response.

Mal's birthday. It's June 11th. She's a Gemini.

And you couldn't have just said that?

I thought it was obvious!

Ben sighed and had to bite back a chuckle as to not draw Mal's attention.

How'd you find out? I thought you said she told you Jay, Carlos and Evie were keeping it under lock and key.

They were. She forgot about Dude. Evie and Carlos were talking about it around him and one bribe of chicken later, we got the intel we wanted.

Hey, that means Mal and I share a sign!

Oh Gods, that's right—you're June 16th. You realize if you start being mushy about that, I'll have to hurt you?

Since when has Mal ever been mushy?

Good point, good point.

"Who are you texting so intently?" Mal chuckled.

"Emir," Ben said as he pocketed his phone.

Mal shook her head. "Don't tell me they're having another baby emergency."

"No, this time they are not getting drowned in snow," Ben chuckled. Fairy Godmother had offered her assistance in putting up a magic dampening ward for Queen Anna's castle, which the younger queen had immediately refused. She had stated that she wanted her daughter to not fear her powers but grow up knowing they were a part of her.