Chapter 13

Ben stared at his convened council, including one member he had removed at his coronation. Personally he wasn't thrilled with the idea of having Leah here but, as his mom pointed out, she should have the chance to offer a defense.

Not that Ben was sure that there was a defense to excuse what she did.

"Welcome everyone. Thank you all for coming on such short notice," Ben said as everyone took their seats. He couldn't help but clench his jaw as he tried to avoid giving away just how angry he truly was. He still couldn't believe Leah could do this! These were people, kids, for crying out loud! It didn't matter that they were on the Isle. They still deserved food that was safe to eat!

His reaction was definitely tamer than Mal's. After thinking about it, Ben had decided that it would be better to not keep secrets from her-they had just had a viewing that showed why that was a bad idea.

Let's just say Ben had spent an hour with a dragon in his dorm room after showing that footage to Mal. Not that he was complaining of course, dragons would forever be awesome and the chance to see one up close was amazing. However, he very much preferred spending time with his girlfriend in her human form. At least she hadn't gone after Leah, as the queen was sitting before him.

There was a murmur of greetings from the council members as Ben took his seat.

"I wish I could say that we were here on a happy note but unfortunately a particularly serious matter has been brought to my attention," Ben said.

"And that would be sire?" Aladdin asked. If there was one thing Ben truly hated about council meetings, it was how formal everyone had to be. Ben had known Aladdin since he was four, hearing the word 'sire' come from his mouth just seemed wrong.

"It has come to my attention that the food that is being sent to the Isle has been purposefully delayed," Ben stated. "I know we were made aware of the issue in the viewings the Blue Fairy granted us but further research showed that the testimony we were given during those were true."

Aladdin's eyes widened and Ben saw that Eugene's did as well.

"Also, I must add that it appears as though the delay has been happening for the life of the Isle just as we were told during the viewings," Ben continued. "For at least nineteen years, the ship that delivers the food to the Isle has reported an engine failure preventing the food from arriving fresh. If you'll all take a look at the reports the attendants are passing around, you can verify it for yourself."

As Ben finished, Dean and Samuel, the deputy chief attendant to the king, began passing out the reports. Ben had been sure to make copies so that each council member would be able to read it. Most of the council read over their copy of the manifest with frowns beginning to form on their faces.

"Sire, it sounds like you're saying these delays are deliberate," Elsa said slowly as if unsure where the next sentence would take her.

"That is how it appears Queen Elsa," Ben nodded. "One month could be seen as an accident. Two or three and we'd need to look into getting a new ship for the shipments. Nineteen years however? Not only that but we also have video evidence on top of the manifests. I'd be happy to play the evidence if it pleases the council?"

"You're the king sire," Eugene said. "Whatever you think is best."

Ben nodded and pulled up the clips that Akiho had sent to him on the council room's computer. Thank Gods mom insisted we have this when dad was transitioning power over to me, he thought.

The clips played and Ben focused more on the council's reactions rather than watching the clips once more. He had to hide a smile as the council grew more and more outraged, it wouldn't do to show bias right now.