Chapter 22

Evie smiled as she curled up on the sofa, Doug sitting next to her and the both of them under a thick fleece blanket. It was their weekly movie date night and honestly Evie loved it. It was a nice break from the pressures of her studies or the booming nature of her business. It honestly was amazing how word had spread. A few more weeks of orders and she would definitely have enough to buy at least a starter castle.

That wasn't to say that Evie didn't like her business or that she would rather be doing something else. But she did enjoy the time alone with Doug. With the increased work load between the two of them, sometimes their movie nights would be the only time they would see each other.

"So what movie are we watching?" Doug asked as he leaned forward to grab the bowl of popcorn that was sitting on the table in front of them. "Did you feel more like action or suspense? Or maybe horror?"

"You forgot about where I grew up didn't you?" Evie chuckled, sneaking a few pieces of popcorn from the bowl. Doug always over buttered the popcorn so Evie learned she needed to grab what she wanted before the butter was put on. She liked butter but there was a difference between lightly buttered and dumping a pound of melted butter on the popcorn. "There is no movie you all could make that could scare someone from the Isle."

"What about Don't Look Under the Bed?"

"When it's Jay's bed? That's just sound advice though you might find something he's swiped from you so it's up to you if you want to take that risk," Evie giggled as Doug rolled his eyes.

"Phantom of the Megaplex? Underwraps? Mom's Got a Date With a Vampire?"

"Again, Doug, nothing's all that scary compared to seeing Maleficent mad at you when you're at your birthday party and you're six," Evie told him and Doug sighed. Evie shook her head fondly, it wasn't the first time they'd had this debate and was likely not going to be the last time either. "Don't worry. I picked something that would let us turn off our brains so to speak."

"If it's that three hour boat movie again—"

"You just hate it because of the door scene," Evie gently teased Doug. "You know they show in the movie that there was no way both of them could fit without the driftwood capsizing."

"They could have fit," Doug muttered but then shook his head. "And it's not just that. That main bad guy, what's the point of having one? The iceberg's the bad guy!"

"It adds drama," Evie shrugged. "I have to admit I'm not a fan of the villain either. There's being evil and then there's being cruel. Besides the mother reminds me of Leah a bit, from the limited interactions I've had with the former queen."

She also didn't want to say it out loud but Evie could sympathize with the main female character, being forced by her mother to marry a man of certain stature and falling in love with a man who was the exact opposite.

Wait...love? Evie thought, glancing at Doug. Is this love? It's...it's not as dramatic as what Ben and Mal have though. We're more...domestic as Carlos would say. Like an old married couple, though Mal said that Chip called her and Ben that at the party so I don't know how true that is. Either that or Chip knows some very dramatic married couples.

"Well then if we're not watching that, what are we watching?" Doug asked, pulling Evie out of her thoughts.

"Pride and Prejudice," Evie told him as she pressed play on the remote control, the movie already selected on their preferred streaming service. Carlos had gone on a three hour rant when he had found out that Doug and Evie still used DVDs for their movie nights.

Literally. Mal had timed it. It had gone on for so long that Jay had fallen asleep while Ben, Jane and Doug took notes. In case they were tested on the material afterwards, they joked.