Chapter 15

Ben grinned as he saw his grandfather's cottage come into view. It had been a month since the council meeting and he was so thankful to get to finally take this vacation with Mal. Getting to spend time with her was always a treat, and there was the added bonus of getting to introduce her to his grandfather.

He had never been able to do that with Audrey, their schedules had never allowed it, but Ben was sure his grandfather would have liked Audrey just like he was sure he would like Mal.

Though the explosion that occurred as the limo stopped in front of the cottage didn't really fill Ben with confidence that this would go well.

"Your grandfather seems like an interesting guy," Mal chuckled as smoke spilled out of the cottage.

"Interesting is one word for him," Ben smiled. He had to say he was relieved Mal hadn't run away screaming—though now that he thought about it, he didn't know why he thought Mal would run away at an explosion. "He loves his inventions."

"Well that's where you get it from."

"Get what?"

"Your dreameriness," Mal said with a small smile.

"That's not a word."

"It is now. Besides, you once coined the word 'de-zone' so you can't complain when I make up words."

Ben chuckled. "Whatever you say. You were great in helping with Akiho's babysitting dilemma so if you want to make up your own words, you can."

"Oh how gracious of you," Mal chuckled. "Considering you volunteered me for that dilemma. And really, how much help was I?"

"You were more help than me, I spent most of the time laughing at them running around like chickens with their heads cut off."

"I'm pretty sure I was right there laughing with you Ben," Mal shook her head. Whatever response Ben was going to have was cut off by his grandfather rushing up to them, his face covered in soot or smoke.

"Ben!" Maurice exclaimed in delight. "My dear boy, it's been too long!"

"Granddad, it's been about eight months since I saw you at my coronation," Ben chuckled.

"Exactly! Eight months is far too long," Maurice nodded. "But at least it's not as long as Chip. A year if you could believe it."

"Where is Chip?" Ben asked. "He said he'd be coming here for his work but we didn't see him as we pulled up."

"I'm also surprised there's not more paparazzi," Mal muttered, looking over her shoulder. While this wasn't a planned trip, this was still a trip made by the king of Auradon and the still relatively new Lady of the Court. Any journalist worth their salt would have tried to scoop that from the others.

"Because of how close we are to Adam's old castle, the press isn't allowed in the village," Maurice explained, having heard the mutter. "As for Chip, he's probably down at the tavern. There's a waitress there that always catches his eye whenever he visits."

"Good for him," Ben grinned. Chip deserved to find someone who made him happy. "Why hasn't he introduced her to the family?"

Mal snorted. "Ben, think about how nerve wracking it is to introduce your girlfriend to your parents. Now imagine you're introducing your girlfriend to the people who are like a second pair of parents and your surrogate brother. Who happens to be the former king and queen as well as the current king of the land."

"...I see your point."

Maurice chuckled. "Oh I like her. Feisty."

"Thank you," Mal smiled. "I understand you're an inventor. I'd love to see your sketches?"